Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Lye for sterilization

10K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  westernbeekeeper 
#1 ·
Hey y'all,
Quick question here: I was wondering if I can use homemade hardwood-ash lye water for disinfection of frames. If so, can I just soak the frames in cool lye water, or do I have to boil them? Thanks in advance!

#5 ·
Decades back, I made a tank and boiled several hundred or thousand ? frames in lye water when I bought out other beekeepers. It did a great job of cleaning them up. These frames had not been glued or nailed well, so I ended up with hundreds of very clean loosey goosey frames, most of which needed re-wiring and re-nailing. Never again, a much better value is doing a great job of assembling new frames, in much less time than you will spend cleaning crummy ones.

#7 ·
I think I boiled old black ones for several minutes, I think. We are talking the 1980's here. If you can remember the '60s you probably weren't really there. And I went to high school in San Francisco in the late '60s, so there isn't much I remember after that. I do remember the lye fumes giving me a sore throat.
You might consider some kind larger scale of steam bucket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NJN0G4_oYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbx-Dv5iLmA

#8 ·
You can probably buy 800 frames for $600. How much will your lye boiling setup and utilities cost?

#10 ·
Can you just soak you frames in 15% bleach solution? I am not sure of formulation-seeing that the bleach in Walmart is 10%. I lost bees to varroa collapse (mailed some frames for analysis). I am planning on washing frames that had brood and adding new foundation. Maybe it makes more sense to just buy new frames-not sure. linn

#13 ·
I lost a few hives to varroa virus complex this summer/fall. The suggestion was that I could re-use the frames that never had brood in them. I was told that the frames that had brood in them should be washed with a 15% bleach solution and new foundation put in. I was thinking that the bleach would kill any dormaint virus. linn

#19 ·
Irradiation: Is an effective way of killing all of the spores/ virus without damaging your equipment, including frames with wax foundation.

This is the expert I use

.You can contact: USDA Beltsville Bee Research Laboratory and see what thier tell you
Bee Research is located at:
10300 BALTIMORE AVENUE
BLDG. 476, RM. 100, BARC-EAST Beltsville, MD 20705 USA

http://www.ars.usda.gov/contactus/co...de=12-45-33-00

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

#21 ·
1 lb. calcium hydroxide (lye) to 10 gal. water. Lye always added to the cold water.
Frames to be striped of old adhearing wax from solar melter or comb removed from frame are boiled for about 5 min. Rinse with hose, dry in sun.
Frames from AFB hive are BURNT.
Other hive furniture is boild 15 min. if from AFB hive.
Walt

#23 ·
:update:

I was able to track all this old equipment back to the original owner. I called him and asked him about the history of this equipment: disease, etc. He said, "Why yes, there was AFB in 3 out of those 90 hives. I treated them and it went away; I'd reuse it all if I were you." But I don't want a big risk, so I will just use the boxes, covers, and bottom boards, but I will pitch/burn the frames. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.