Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2lbs or 3 lbs?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  oblib 
#1 ·
Greetings folks. I have a question for those of you experienced with package bees. I went out an checked several of my yards last weekend. Seems like the stress of the drought and hot weather took its toll on a lot of my colonies already. I am going to have to start many colonies over next spring. I usually start colonies with my own nucs, but I am afraid that I wont come out of winter with enough colonies to make up my losses, so I am going to be purchasing bees. I am going to replace the dead outs with packages. I know 3 pound packages are the best way to go, but since I am talking 40-50 packages, I want to save some cash. Since these will be going onto drawn comb, and I can probably pull a frame of brood from surviving colonies, would the 2 pound package suffice?

#3 ·
i have always started new colonies with packages for 5 years now.since you have drawn comb already 2# will do just fine this year spring 2012 i started a new hive with one deep frame with wintered over queen,brood,and bees on that frame with 2 frames drawn out two un drawn foundation-less.they built up nicely currently there in a double deep....hope that helps

#4 ·
A lot depends on when you get the packages. Early April, late April or into May. The later you get them the bigger your package has to be. I install over 800 2# packages every year for big honey production, but that is around March 20-28. If you are going to need package you better have already had them booked. I book my packages each year for the next year when I pick my packages up in March. 40-50 packages find a supplier and pick them up save some big $$$.:digging:

#5 ·
Early April was what I was shooting for. I have a supplier located in Iowa, but was wondering if there were any south of Missouri where I could pick them up and get a better deal. I am willing to drive for them. Besides, I can take the wife, then she can't say I dont take her anywhere!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.