Default Arbor Day Foundation/Plantings for Bees

Has anyone had experience ordering from http://www.arborday.org. If you could comment on the quality of what you received it would be appreciated. Their selection and prices seem very good and I like their mission. Thanks.

Default Re: Arbor Day Foundation/Plantings for Bees

We've been wondering about this too.

One of our favorite trees for bees is the Red Buckeye. They love it. You don't seem them much around here--always the white. RB are also good for Hummingbirds. Good early season bloomer.

Stay away from the California Buckeye though, it's pollen is toxic to larvae.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

I have ordered from them as we'll as my neighbor. Nice trees, came in good shape and all survived transplanting. The trees were smaller whips that might take a year or two longer to bloom than nursery stock, but for the $ I am not complaining!!!

BTW, I became a member and got a discount on my purchase that more than paid for the membership and will probably order more next year.

I agree. Good products especially for the cost.

Thanks for the review. I suspected that given their mission it would be pretty good, but it is nice to get some input from other beeks.
    I definitely will be putting in an order and taking advantage of that 10 free trees offer, which lets you select flowering trees that are all good bee trees. Have a great holiday!

I just ordered 30+ trees from them... they only ship out during certain times of the year, which is good for the trees. I like the prices and the quality is excellent.
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

Sorry, I should have put this in the previous post... I just recieved my trees from them. They were ordered a few months ago.
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

I got some of there free trees for joining up $10. They are whips, I planted mine straight in the ground and had no survivours. If I had to do it again I would put them in individual planters for a couple of years, so I could nurse them along until they were plantable. You will have to work with them.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I joined up and got their free trees a few years ago. As others have noted, the trees were barely more than bare twigs, and none of them lived. Now, granted, they're free... so I guess you could say that even if one or two survived and flourished, then you're ahead of the game.

I had much better success with http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/

Be careful if ordering fruit trees. I've ordered several fruiting pear trees, cherry trees and a nut tree that turned out to be a Golden Jubilee Peach tree. The pear trees turned out to be Bradford and the cherries turned into little pea sized cherries that are inedible. All their stocks on fruit trees have a generic grafted root, if not tended to, will take over the plant. Would suggest going to your local DIY store garden center in spring to get some Russian Sage for nectar source from April til October, as my bees work this plant to death and the honey has a minty taste to it too as a bonus.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

I get most of my trees from the state nursery now a days, but I have had luck with these folks in the past. http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/default.aspx

They have very nice prices compared to what I've seen at some of the other places.