Hybrid View

Default Oliver Drone Trap frame

Hey there. I just heard of "The Oliver Trap", and then found Randy's detailed explanations at http://scientificbeekeeping.com/figh...al-tactics-ii/ . Has anyone tried this, and what were your results?

Also, I didn't know that honeybees would tear brood cells and turn them into drone cells as needed. Do they do also this in reverse, drone to brood?

Thanks for this great forum!
    Last edited by Tom Davidson; 11-28-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Mispelled "drone" in title

Default Re: Oliver Drone Trap frame

I understand this is a old post, but did you ever try the drone trap? I read the arcticle yest and just made 4 and put them in all my hives today.

I haven't tried the trap yet, but thanks for resurrecting the post. Now I will in the upcoming season. :-) Check back with your results as well. To my question, will bees re-engineer cells if needed from drone to brood, or no?
    Last edited by Tom Davidson; 01-12-2015 at 07:30 AM.

Ok sounds good I will part pictures after my next give inspection

A couple of years ago I had a queen move up into my shallow supers, I put her back down with the drawn frames and extracted the remainder of the box. When I pulled the shallow frame on the next inspection it looked just like the one in Randy’s post (except for the wood bottom in two locations). I was thinking about doing that again this year on purpose. I have not seen them tear down the foundation but rather put the drones in any gap, under any frame and wherever they could find room.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

I have run out of deep frames and put shallow combs in deep brood boxes before. The result? Pretty much the same as the Oliver Drop Trap frame (except I had worker brood with the normal band of pollen and honey on the top comb). The bottom was drawn to be mostly drone and the queen laid in it. I may just do this as a quick route to the same end once spring gears up. Actually, I think I'll make the Oliver frame and just stick in a shallow comb as well and compare the two. :-)