Results 1 to 12 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Turkey */ ISTANBUL
    Posts
    9

    Default New member from TURKEY

    Hello....
    there are huge differences on beekeeping between countries.
    I've known little about the system in US.
    Where should I begin ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Strafford, NH, USA
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: New member from TURKEY

    Quote Originally Posted by cemoka View Post
    Hello....
    there are huge differences on beekeeping between countries.
    I've known little about the system in US.
    Where should I begin ?
    ... and what can you teach us?

    Michael Bush has a great website in general and for the treatment free crowd.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

    The Cornell Library also has a good digital collection of books/Journals
    http://bees.library.cornell.edu/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: New member from TURKEY

    Welcome!

    This is a good place to start: http://www.beesource.com/forums/foru...art-Beekeeping

    Interested in how you do things in your country as well.

    Cheers,
    Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Turkey */ ISTANBUL
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: New member from TURKEY

    Quote Originally Posted by toekneepea View Post
    Welcome!

    This is a good place to start: http://www.beesource.com/forums/foru...art-Beekeeping

    Interested in how you do things in your country as well.

    Cheers,
    Tony P.
    Thanks for the answers,
    The major difference, for example, is in winterizing.
    You winterize the colonies in a deep (for brood), and another deep or super above (for honey stores).
    In Turkey, we winterize in a single deep. (up to max 8 frames) .
    Brood and honey stores are both on the same frame.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    waynesboro va USA
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: New member from TURKEY

    what do you do or use to manage diseases?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Turkey */ ISTANBUL
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: New member from TURKEY

    Most of them use commercial, and a few started using organic acids for varroa.

    Antibiotics is not permitted , but lots of people use for brood problems.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,371

    Default Re: New member from TURKEY

    Quote Originally Posted by cemoka View Post
    Thanks for the answers,
    The major difference, for example, is in winterizing.
    You winterize the colonies in a deep (for brood), and another deep or super above (for honey stores).
    In Turkey, we winterize in a single deep. (up to max 8 frames) .
    Brood and honey stores are both on the same frame.
    There are beekeepers here that use 8 frame boxes although 10 frame I think is still the standard.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alachua County, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,949

    Default Re: New member from TURKEY

    Welcome Cemo! Differences are not due to national boundaries or even cultures, but climate and opinions. I winter in one medium (Illinois) super and occasionally two mediums.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads