Default how to coat a few plastic foundations with a limited amount of bees wax on hand

i need to coat a few plastic foundations.. whats the easiest way with a limited amount of bees wax on hand..

Default Re: how to coat a few plastic foundations with a limited amount of bees wax on hand

melt it in a very small container and brush it on, or feed the bees sugar syrup and let them do the work
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: how to coat a few plastic foundations with a limited amount of bees wax on hand

In the past I used the trim rollers you can buy at cheapo depot

I use a foam brush. I tried a foam roller with pitiful results. I melt the wax in a saucepan outside with a bit of water in it (once melted, the wax just floats on top of the water and most of whatever crap is left in it sinks to the bottom). -js

I agree with dixiebooks. Foam brush works well for me.
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

You can just rub the wax across the cells if you have just a few to do.
    I did it with 20 drone frames I forgot to do and it seemed to work okay.

thank you.. i bought one of those shamrock mating quad nucs and they recommend to coat the frames..

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    I agree with dixiebooks. Foam brush works well for me.
    yep. I've rendered the wax a few ways. Easiest is to get a large pot from Salvation Army or Goodwill. Then, mix cappings or comb with water in pot of water and keep stirring. Once melted, stir a little bit more and leave it overnight. Next day, there will be your mostly clean wax floating on top.

Next, double boiler and pour melted wax through coffee filter or paint strainer.

I then put the clean wax in double boiler and use the foam brush to brush on quickly. If you need was for just this and don't have enough, the craft stores usually have some beeswax and you can use a coupon to save money... Michael's was where I bought a big block for some candles before I rendered my own.

I buy unwaxed plastic frames from Mann Lake because they are substantially cheaper. I have been rolling on wax but this summer due to sircumstances beyond my control, I just didn't have time and shook colonies off AFB infected comb onto the unwaxed frames and began feeding heavily two days later. That was August with a few done late in September. I was just checking and putting mountain camp sugar on those colonies today and was amazed at how large a cluster most ended up with. They drew the comb beautifully but only as they needed it. That is always the secret to drawing comb. If they need it for brood or storage and you pour on the feed, they will build foundation. If they do not need to add room, they won't build comb.

How many frames are you waxing a year Vance?