Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Survey: Preparation of NEW jars and lids for honey

Just out of curiosity. I'm wondering if I'm just being too OCD with my preparation methods. Please take the following survey. Thanks.

http://questionpro.com/t/AJKk8ZOp04

-james

Default Re: Survey: Preparation of NEW jars and lids for honey

How do we see the results? I thought there was a survey function on Beesource.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman43 View Post
    How do we see the results? I thought there was a survey function on Beesource.

Good question, I don't know. I suppose I will have to post the results, myself. I've never used this survey site before. Didn't know there was one on the forum.

Let's try this link: http://www.questionpro.com/a/ShowRes...9740&mode=data

-js
    Last edited by dixiebooks; 11-27-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: more info

When starting a new thread on Beesource, look towards the bottom of that page for Additional Options, then see "Post a Poll"
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I just take the bottles out of the plastic bag or box, fill them up, and screw on the lids. They are hot blow molded (plastic) and have not been touched yet most likely, and I can't see how they'd be cleaner if I washed them out.

Peter

There is no need to "wash" honey containers before filling. All of the containers we sell are manufactured, packed and handled to FDA regulation. If anything, washing at home will ADD foreign residue to the containers, such as organic particles or detergent/soap (spots) if done improperly. There may be some benefit to blasting (food-safe) filtered compressed air (from something other than a shop air compressor) to remove dust particles (like cardboard fibers from the shipping box), which may lead to crystallization of the honey. However, we do not see this as a problem for the home producer.

Fortunately, honey is anti-bacterial in nature and does not require the same level of preparation that something like maple syrup or home-made jam requires.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

Use glass no matter what FDA says plastic off gasses and most Plastic jars are made in china. Ball jars are made in the USA keep American jobs in America. Blue sky where do your jars come from????
    Im really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    I just take the bottles out of the plastic bag or box,
    If the container is plastic and in a plastic bag I don't see any issue with using them as is. If they are in cardboard boxes and don't have a lid I would rinse and dry them. For myself I am not in favor of plastic. I think it is contrary to the health benefits of honey. Might as well eat corn syrup.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    most Plastic jars are made in china. Ball jars are made in the USA
    My local distributor carries glass queenline jars that we use for our honey. About three years back I noticed my bottling area all scratched up from the bottom of the jars (never saw this prior). I contacted the supplier and turns out that the glass jars are now made overseas and the quality suffered. The distributor said they contacted the manufacturer and indeed the jars are now free of shape edges, but the American made jars had nicer glass.

Don't canning jars and lids have manufacturing residue? They advise washing before use. I run mine through the dishwasher with a minimal amount of detergent, then rinse a second time to be sure the soap residue is also gone. My water is super hot and I do the dishwasher for more of a sterilization process. I don't just jar up honey in these, I am also pressure canning food for my family. Although made in the USA, I don't trust anyone frankly and to be sure, I wash.

Shoot, even a light bulb will say wash hands after handling, components are known to cause cancer.

The fact the lids will rust if washed and left wet and exposed to the air overnight bothers me as well. I Wash them with just a drop of Dawn, rinse and use them immediately or dry completely.

I have canned for many years and have found the lids available today will start to deteriorate internally in about 2-4 years if canned with an acid type food like tomatoes or spaghetti sauce.
    Canning use to be a long term way of preserving food. With the lids being the weak link, it is more difficult to stock up in this day and age. Part of the reason I dehydrate more food now.

There are other lids that are available, but they are very spendy.

You can see most of the people surveyed use jars straight out of the box. That is why I am a do it yourself-er. A lifetime of small exposures to chemicals, etc is what will mess up your health in the long run. Just my opinion, but better to be safe than sorry is my motto regarding this subject.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.

[QUOTE=dixiebooks;871015]Just out of curiosity. I'm wondering if I'm just being too OCD with my preparation methods. Please take the following survey. Thanks.

http://questionpro.com/t/AJKk8ZOp04

I handle plastic different than glass and this survey doesn't distinguish.

Glass, I send through the dishwasher but now will not use soap, high heat wash and heat dry. Boil lids (now).

Plastic, I put them in the extra large zip lock bags, no wash.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I use mostly glass and when I first got my jars I filled right out of the box but now having set in the garage for several years they are "cloudy" right out of the box so I run them thru the dishwasher.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Buy and use honey jars and plastic containers made for honey. Use them right out of the container in which they come. Never wash the containers or the caps. Buy and use plastisol lids on all of your glass jars and you will never see any rust, even if you do wash them, which you don't need to.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Use glass no matter what FDA says plastic off gasses and most Plastic jars are made in china. Ball jars are made in the USA keep American jobs in America. Blue sky where do your jars come from????
    We want to keep American jobs in America. We have family members that work for the AFL-CIO / GMP (The Glass, Molders, Pottery, Plastics & Allied Workers). We take this VERY SERIOUSLY. No joke.

Nearly all of our glass is made in the USA, except a little bit of specialty (hex, glass bear and Muth).

ALL of our plastic containers are currently made in the USA, except for the 2 oz. bear (made in North America).

We have always avoided carrying the old style "Queenline" glass jars, commonly confused with "Classic" glass jars. Queenlines are only made in China now. Classics (WE CARRY) are proudly made in the USA.

See the difference (classics have a wider bottom and are better designed):
    These are Classic.
    These are Queenline.

Again, we will NOT sacrifice quality and principles just to make a quick buck. We are proud of the products we carry and will be offering many new items for 2013 made in the USA.

Thanks for all you do for beekeeping!
    Last edited by blueskybeesupply; 11-30-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

bump

Thank You for caring, so many don't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskybeesupply View Post
    We want to keep American jobs in America. We have family members that work for the AFL-CIO / GMP (The Glass, Molders, Pottery, Plastics & Allied Workers). We take this VERY SERIOUSLY. No joke.

Nearly all of our glass is made in the USA, except a little bit of specialty (hex, glass bear and Muth).

ALL of our plastic containers are currently made in the USA, except for the 2 oz. bear (made in North America).

We have always avoided carrying the old style "Queenline" glass jars, commonly confused with "Classic" glass jars. Queenlines are only made in China now. Classics (WE CARRY) are proudly made in the USA.

See the difference (classics have a wider bottom and are better designed):
    These are Classic.
    These are Queenline.

Again, we will NOT sacrifice quality and principles just to make a quick buck. We are proud of the products we carry and will be offering many new items for 2013 made in the USA.

Thanks for all you do for beekeeping!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Buy and use honey jars and plastic containers made for honey. Use them right out of the container in which they come. Never wash the containers or the caps. Buy and use plastisol lids on all of your glass jars and you will never see any rust, even if you do wash them, which you don't need to.
    Do you have a link to lids that will fit mason jars?
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by blueskybeesupply View Post
    Where are the Muth glass jars made?

I really appreciate all the made in the USA items.
    Last edited by bhfury; 12-26-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    Do you have a link to lids that will fit mason jars?
    Greg have you tired ACE Hardware?
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

I haven't tried Ace yet. I did try to google plastisol lids but didn't turn up much. My wife told me that you need to ensure that they fit mason jars, as they seem to make many sizes of them.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/