Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

This is for all of you mix & match beekeeper on Woodware

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr.Beeman 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I enjoyed reading that article when it came out. The author really put a lot of effort into his research. There are folks that will be able to put it to good use.
Personally, my yards could be considered mutts when it comes to wooden ware. Almost every box I have has a different pedigree. Some are name-brand-new. Many appear to be home-made and the rest could come from any number of manufacturers (I recently rehabbed an old deep with an A.I. Root imprint all around the inside of the box.) Some had hand-written notes from the 1950s on them. They all work. The bees do their thing. On occasion, I run into a couple of mismatched boxes with bridge comb holding them together, but I have that happen with colonies that use boxes from the same manufacturer as well.

#8 ·
After just going down to the chart and looking at the color codes there are some manufactures that do not even work with their own gear. I make my most of my own stuff that I did not get second hand. Last year tried my hand at frames of different sizes, just afraid to take my ruler to any 2 of anything.

#14 ·
Beekeeping has become more of a science I suppose. Bee space down to a 1/16" difference. I have that much difference in frame warpage in my langs. The bees don't care, so I'm guessing it's the beekeepers comfort level these specs are designed for.
My TBH (being allowed to do their thing) is doing tremendously. Much better than the Langs and all started the same time.
An indepth study for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.