Default Is something wrong here?

Hi,
    I am a first year beekeeper.
    I went out to view my hives today and one is unusual. All have some bees going in and out, but the middle one has a large cluster on the outside of the hive.
    We are in Central California. It is a beautiful day here (65 degrees, sunny, no wind). There is alfalfa growing on the other side of the irrigation ditch, 100 yards away.
    Is this something I should be concerned about?

Bees in November.JPG

Default Re: Is something wrong here?

I dont know what they are up to, but it dosent look like anything to worry about.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I bet they are coming out to enjoy the good weather. Mine are out sunning on nice days also.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Thanks.
    I went out this evening after dark when the evening got cooler, and all but a couple had gone inside. There were half a dozen dead bees on the landing though.

The mouse guard may have created a bit of a traffic jam and that is what you are seeing is the end of an orientation flight and the bees trying to all get in at once..............either that or there is a black Thursday special going on in that hive!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Big orientation flights in San Mateo this after noon also. Just the bees enjoying the California sunshine.

I'm a first year beekeeper too. I just received a heads up about robber bee activity. I don't know the difference between the good guys and the bad guys so I shot some video today so more experienced beekeepers could weigh in on it. The bees came from a feral bee colony in a tree in early June. I'm not feeding them, but I AM feeding the Warre hive and it has much less activity around it.

http://solarbeez.com/2012/11/22/bee-...e-robber-bees/

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving today!

Solarbeez,
    I didnt notice any signs of fighting during your video, I would say that is normal hive activity. The Warre hive doesn't look right-- are you sure you have a queen?

Solarbeez,
    Robbers won't be bringing in pollen either. Your tree hive looks great!
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by stella379 View Post
    Solarbeez,
    I didnt notice any signs of fighting during your video, I would say that is normal hive activity. The Warre hive doesn't look right-- are you sure you have a queen?
    The Warre hive came from a small swarm, transferred in early June. They've always been underachievers. After they built the natural comb in early June, they just seemed to stop. I'm a student of non-intervention. I'm not after the honey because, well, I don't think I'll get much in my wet coastal area, so I'm more patient than smart, I guess. I've got pictures here of bee activity through the observation window, including a waggle dance and daisy chain.
    http://solarbeez.com/2012/10/18/waff...r-not-to-feed/
    I think they have a queen because they do bring in pollen, but they are real slackers compared to the log hive.

Stella, I've got a hive behaving like his Warré. I guess in the summer I would have suspected queenlessness but it didn't occur to me in the start of winter they might be. Bit of a battle to check the hive in cold weather. No brood or very little to worry about so opening the hive not a big concern? Or at this point is it just a wait and see approach?
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Solarbeez,
    I can totally relate that you want to be "natural" and have little intervention but regular hive inspections are needed for this very reason. You need to see laying patterns and check hive wellness etc. Provided you do have a queen, I think this colony could of used some late summer feeding. BTW love the tree hive. Good luck.

Seymore,
    Yes, too late in the season, it is a wait and see.

Ohhhhhh....the learning of patience! I was encouraged by some activity yday... Crossing fingers.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by stella379 View Post
    Solarbeez,
    I can totally relate that you want to be "natural" and have little intervention but regular hive inspections are needed for this very reason. You need to see laying patterns and check hive wellness etc. Provided you do have a queen, I think this colony could of used some late summer feeding. BTW love the tree hive. Good luck.
    That's possible...it's just that I was hell-bent on not feeding them because of all the negative aspects of sugar. This is a compromise. Hopefully they only need feeding over the winter, then I can back off.