Default southern AZ advice winterization and feeding

So... its late November now and i would characterize my winters as being fairly moderate compared to most of the country, but i'm looking for advice as to whether or not any steps should be taken for winter care of my 7 hives....

in AZ, its still warming up to low 80s but the nights get cool here- in the 40s for now.... the top brood boxes are offset about 3/4" back for ventilation.... should i close this? should i insulate my hives with Styrofoam or other?

Also, my hives are fairly new- i only got honey from two of them during our may-june flow.... they all have at least one super on them but i suspect those are mostly empty now... should i feed them sugar water through the winter? i think i saw some robbing the other day...

thanks!

Default Re: southern AZ advice winterization and feeding

Heck, with that climate, doing nothing should work. The robbing should be dealt with though, don't add to the problem by feeding. Maybe an entrance reducer on all hives would help them sustain their ground. Would be nice in my area not to have to winterize.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

Set the brood body back to full overlap and install entrance reducers. Shouldn't have to do much of anything else, but check for stores. If they are light, feed some 2:1 syrup with a hive-top feeder.

I don't know when spring arrives down that way, but they will need some pollen store and honey to make spring bees during buildup, so you'll have to keep an eye on them to make sure they have enough. Once it warms up in the spring, check often and feed if they are out of honey or pollen.

Peter

Check out these guys. http://www.beesource.com/point-of-view/ed-dee-lusby/

They are in Tucson and have written some things on Southern Arizona beekeeping. I hear that they are nice people and willing to answer questions.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

thanks everyone!!! thats pretty much what i was thinking,but i definitely wanted some other opinions!