Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Wax dipping for preservation

8K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  BoTBees 
#1 ·
So this came up in the thread about "100 hives for cheap" and I have read Michael Bush's paper on it. Can anyone else offer me any insight? I found a really good price on microcrystalline wax locally and I understand fire safety and temperature control so what I am looking for is firsthand experience with this preservation method. I am not looking to kill foulbrood or anything, I want to do wooden ware preservation as I build my apiary.

#7 ·
The insight I am looking for is how well this will weatherize my boxes, that's all. I am just asking for anyone's personal experience.

The microcrystalline I am referring to is a surplus item. I just called. As of yesterday they still have 6 each 66 pound cases of it left.

#10 ·
#13 ·
I used to do it myself. Now I have a person do it when he assembles the equipment. I have done like Keith was saying where dip first let boxes cool a bit then spray. The paint stays on forever it seems. I did this to 1000 or so nucs 8 years ago and the equipment looks almost new. The only ones that do not look so good are the ones where the paint was added on to soon. The boxes did not cool sufficiently. It only takes 1 minute or two if my memory is correct. You will see from the results if you are painting to soon. The paint kinda flakes off in large pieces. As off now the equipment builder dips in parrafin and rosen. This will last many years hassle free. This is especially valuable in our wet humid climate.

Jean-Marc

#17 ·
The tank i use dips about 6 medium supers or 3 1/2 brood boxes. i use 2 part paraffin wax and 1 part gum rosin. i use a temp. of about 165 degrees. i dip them for about 10 minutes, or until the foam starts getting close to the top. DO IT IN ANY OPEN AREA AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT COULD CATCH ON FIRE! this is by far way easier then painting. my boxes come out looking great. I dipped about 400 to 500 boxes last winter relatively quick. i don't paint after i pull them out because i don't like painting. if the boxes start to turn dark simply spray with bleach water and it comes right of. Oh, and ya get about a 5 minute break while the boxes are cookin!

#18 ·
BotBees,

Now that's what we are talking about! How are your boxes holding up, such as years with out dipping again? Do you have pictures of the dip tank you are using? I am considering having a wider then the tank base plate so that in the event a seam ended up with a leak the wax would run away from open flames.

#19 ·
Tony:

All the nicecolours of paint makes those nuc boxes awfully pretty. Probably a good idea for queen matin. I tend to place nucs and hives in very close to each other. The regular hives used for pollination are dipped but not painted They take on a tan/brownish colour, good for camouflage. They do not stand out as much as the white boxes do. That can be a plus in my opinion.

Jean-Marc

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.