Hybrid View

Default Wax dipping for preservation

So this came up in the thread about "100 hives for cheap" and I have read Michael Bush's paper on it. Can anyone else offer me any insight? I found a really good price on microcrystalline wax locally and I understand fire safety and temperature control so what I am looking for is firsthand experience with this preservation method. I am not looking to kill foulbrood or anything, I want to do wooden ware preservation as I build my apiary.

Default Re: Wax dipping for preservation

Steve, I don't have first hand experiance yet! I am heading this direction myself. I am curious to know your source/price for microcrystalline wax? I love the idea of dipping boxes and not need to do it again for another 15-20 years!

There is a place here in Portland called fiberlay, it used to be Stephenson pattern supply. They have a surplus of microcrystalline for $1.00 per pound.

I looked on their website. I cannot find anything saying that they sell that at all.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Quote Originally Posted by seyc View Post
    I looked on their website. I cannot find anything saying that they sell that at all.
    Here's a link:
    http://www.fiberlay.com/oregon/Fiberlay_Clays_Waxes.pdf

Scroll down until you see the section headed "TOOLING WAXES" and then look at Synthetic Beeswax.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

The insight I am looking for is how well this will weatherize my boxes, that's all. I am just asking for anyone's personal experience.

The microcrystalline I am referring to is a surplus item. I just called. As of yesterday they still have 6 each 66 pound cases of it left.

Youtube it to see it done, a few good videos on it. What insight are you looking for?