Hybrid View

Default Glenn Apiaries - Pol-Line queens

Adam,

Any idea who got most of his Breeders. Wondering who will be a source for Pol-Line queens

Default Re: Glenn Apiaries - Pol-Line queens

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Adam,

Any idea who got most of his Breeders. Wondering who will be a source for Pol-Line queens

Hi Cam, hope you're well.

Tom sent some of his Pol-Line breeding stock out to queen rearers. The USDA also got some back.

We'll be getting some of Tom's Pol-Line stock this Spring to work with.

We (vpqueenbees) also get Pol-Line germplasm (semen) from the USDA and use it in our breeding program: our Italian VSH (allegro) has Pol-Line in it.

We also produce pure Pol-Line breeder queens and we're planning to work with several other queen producers who have Pol-Line stock to continue to keep the line going.

If in doubt about the source of Pol-Line, check with the producer and see where they obtained their Pol-Line breeding material. T
    The Pol-Line world is pretty small!

Have a good one,

Adam Finkelstein
    www.vpqueenbees.com

Good morning Adam,
    I have heard of Pol-Line bees, could you please enlighten me with the origin and the characteristics they were bred for
    Thanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Good morning Adam,
    I have heard of Pol-Line bees, could you please enlighten me with the origin and the characteristics they were bred for
    Thanks
    John
    Check out post #10 on Adam's excellent forum.

http://vshbreeders.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=125

OK, lets see if I have this right. The USDA selected a number of the best hives from a comercial operation that had some VSH stock, of italian origin I guess. they continued to breed from them selecting for honey production and varoa tolerance,and they appeared to be better than the VSH hives they were compared to.
    John

My understanding, and I don't claim to be an expert, is that the USDA took VSH virgin queens that were outcrossed through open mating in a commercial setting. These outcrossed VSH queens were compared to Russian, and two types of control colonies (Italians). All these were placed into a commercial setting and evaluated. This occurred in 2008 and 2009. In 2011 more VSH outcrosses were added and tested in a commercial setting, with the highest performers being added to the gene pool of the first VSH outcrosses from 2008 and 2009. These groups of outcrosses are what is now considered as Pol-Line bees. At least that's my current understanding.