Default Gulf Coastal Queens from eggs/brood

Sitting right against the Gulf of Mexico SE of Houston. We are still in the 90s for another month at least. Goldenrod is still several weeks away from blooming. We had a minor flow going but not sure if that is still going. Bees have gone from ignoring syrup 2-3 weeks ago to attacking it today. Really spooky.

I took several small cut outs and didn't get queens on them. So I have 2 new nucs that are queenless. Then found that one of my hives is queenless or has a virgin as there was no eggs or young brood. So I made sure they all had eggs/young brood. Made sure that they had bee bread and some capped honey as well. We have some drones around, but not huge numbers.

I was successful last year in making queens in September with my first 3 cutouts. Didn't get the queen on any of them.

So has anyone on the Gulf Coast/Texas Coast have success with late August/September queens rearing. Please let me know any advice or tips.

Thanks
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Default Re: Gulf Coastal Queens from eggs/brood

"Please let me know any advice or tips."
    Sounds like you've got it. Stand pat.
    Inscrutable little bugs.

Well anyone in these areas ever specifically raise queens with grafting during this period.

I am thinking with the time we have left, plus helped with syrup, that I could set up some fall nucs that should be ready to explode come spring. Last year they were building in the nucs until mid October and still were foraging some at the end of October.

Anyone have success with grafting on the coast at this time of the year?
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Haven't tried grafting yet Pat, but had a cutout hive swarm on me last September (don't recall exact date), but they made a queen and survived till December. Died from my lack of understanding that they needed more feed and reduced entrance.
    Certainly we have enough warm weather remaining. Feed heavy and if you have drawn comb, I would give it a try.

ETA: I did a cutout little over two weeks ago and saw a good amount of drones. I would think that is a good sign also.

CajunBee - I started around the same time last year and my first 3 cutouts all were queenless and they made it too.

Going to give it a try this week. Would like 3 to 6 queens if possible.

Will keep you posted.

Im in south Louisiana and I usually successfully graft queens until the end of October. It is harder in the fall to get quality cells though. I feed my starter/finisher hives all the can take with sugar syrup and pollen. The takes usually fall of from 90% in spring to about 60% in the Fall.

I don't wish to highjack this thread but have a question. New bee keeper and have three hives had four but one got robbed last week and lost a queen maybe two. Combined the two weak hives not finding a queen in either. I am in north Florida on the Gulf Coast. Does my combined two hives have time to make a queen and her have time to mate? They have plenty of honey and frames of brood. Or should I find a mated queen? They are consuming about 2.5 gallons sugar water every 24 hours from an open community feeder.

Well I have at least 2 queen cells in one nuc that are not capped yet and 5 capped queen cells in the other nuc. The hive doesn't have any queen cells started from the frame of eggs and brood I placed in it. It looked like they might have eaten some of the larvae and eggs. I think that this hive of bees are just stupid. At least they are getting 2/3 of a frame boost of capped larvae for new bees.

Likely going to try to cut out a pair or two of the queen cells and place them in the hive if the frame of brood/eggs does not work. The frame I put in today was mostly capped brood as well and then a border of eggs and young larvae.

So time will tell if they mate successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by GregSkip View Post
    I don't wish to highjack this thread but have a question. New bee keeper and have three hives had four but one got robbed last week and lost a queen maybe two. Combined the two weak hives not finding a queen in either. I am in north Florida on the Gulf Coast. Does my combined two hives have time to make a queen and her have time to mate? They have plenty of honey and frames of brood. Or should I find a mated queen? They are consuming about 2.5 gallons sugar water every 24 hours from an open community feeder.
    Were there any eggs in those hives? If not, you should try to find a mated queen.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    Well I have at least 2 queen cells in one nuc that are not capped yet and 5 capped queen cells in the other nuc. The hive doesn't have any queen cells started from the frame of eggs and brood I placed in it. It looked like they might have eaten some of the larvae and eggs. I think that this hive of bees are just stupid. At least they are getting 2/3 of a frame boost of capped larvae for new bees.

Likely going to try to cut out a pair or two of the queen cells and place them in the hive if the frame of brood/eggs does not work. The frame I put in today was mostly capped brood as well and then a border of eggs and young larvae.

So time will tell if they mate successfully.
    Keep us posted please. I'm going to hold off till the spring as work has kept me away from home too much lately.

So I have quite a few emergency cells built on those frames of eggs I placed in the hives last Saturday. Not sure if that is good as they supposedly do not make the best queens but I have them.

Two questions now.
    First is seemed like I apparently missed some young brood in the frame I placed. Most of the frame was capped brood with a edge of newer comb that had eggs in them. But my eyes apparently missed some small larvae and the bees were capping them on Wednesday/Thursday. So with my math it seems like they might be emerging next Wednesday/Thursday and I will not be available much to move them the day before. So if I go easy with cutting comb (bigger piece around them) can I move them this weekend?

Secondly, What would be the best route of placing an emergency cell attached to comb in a hive?

Not likely going to try grafting, dropped that idea on Thursday after finding all the emergency cells.

I certainly lack the experience to answer, but will share what I've read in a couple books.
    First, I would say you can move them as long as your careful and don't shake or drop them.
    Second, make sure there is an extra bit of comb near the top of the cell and use a wooden toothpick to hold it to the comb of the receiving hive. After hatching, just pull the toothpick and discard the cell.

In my mind, if a person was to destroy all but a couple of the emergency cells as soon as they are built, the bees would tend the remaining ones better (more food, etc). I didn't do that this spring when I made a split and ended up with like 20 cells in a hive. Leaving just 4 or 5 would yield better queens IMO.