Default Selling Queen Cells - Questions

I always graft more queens than I have mating nucs. Sometimes I have great graft acceptance and have way too many cells. I end up putting 2 cells in each nuc, then I still have some left over. Next season, I was thinking about selling the xtra cells to the local folks via craigslist. What do you think for price? I was thinking $10/each.
    Also, what about transport? Should I rig something for the customer? Maybe hard styrofoam with some holes bored to place the queen cells. I am in the deep south so I don't think that chilling will be an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0QQBha8Xig

Default Re: Selling Queen Cells - Questions

$10 seems to be the going price (seen it a couple times on various websites). My queens are not grafted (made from emergency queen cells), so this method may not work for you, but I can cut off the queen cells with additional beeswax comb (no foundation) and then use a bread twist tie to attach it to a piece of plastic needlework mesh. The mesh can be bent to "stand up" in a mason jar or solo cup to transfer the queen cells to the customer (with coffee paper filter top held on by rubberband in case the queen should hatch enroute)

queencells.jpg

It's been a few years (like 5) since I bought a cell from someone else, so I might be out of the times, but last I checked the going rate was about $5 a cell. That's from local breeders who do it for a living. If you can get more, have at it though.

If you sell them at ten I will sell mine to your customers at 8.50 ( delivered ups overnight air include on lots of 200 or more) and still make over $3.00 beyond the standard rate. If I could get $5 for all the cells we could produce( pick up price) I would gladly can all the other bee work and shift to a scheme whereby I would buy bulk bees from other beeks and graft for 5 or 6 weeks a year. The profit margin on 1000 cells a day over a six day a week schedule would be sweet from a time off perspective... Cells are easy....... All the other bee work is what will kill a guy....

Lol. Simmer down honey 4 all. I'm not going to be selling batches of 200 and my customers won't be buying batches of 200. My rate of $10 at pick up for 1 or 2 cells will still be cheaper than your 8.50 + the ridiculous cost of overnight shipping. I did not mean to give the impression that I was some commercial guy selling boatloads of bees. I am going to be selling them on craigslist and we are talking about maybe 30 cells per year.
    Specialkayme your advice was helpful and I'll keep it in mind.

Ruthiesbees thanks for the pic.

I sometimes buy cells (VP VSH breeder q) from a local queen producer for $5 picked up. If they were $10 I would be WAY better off just buying queens when you consider everything.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

One or two at a shot. Price them at $12.50 and see who bites.

Honey-4-all, then I would have to keep a roll of quarters in my truck to make change.

If you end up using pre 64 silver for the change on your golden cells let me know. Might even buy a couple myself.

I know the pricing on stuff in the south is a lot lower than here on the left coast but I would advise you to keep the pricing commiserate to the time that those ones and twos will cost you in time. Many folks buying that many know little about bees and are more than willing to take your time to build their knowledge base. Not against doing that just advising you to charge accordingly.

I use those little 50 ml alcoholic beverage bottles - the drunks leave plenty of them along the bike trail near my bee yard, so they're free. I heat a metal tube with a torch an burn a hole for a cork to go in the bottom, and a hole for some #8 hardware cloth to ventilate along the side. My friends named them "bee bongs" ha ha.

My Queen cell bars are drilled for golf tees, to which I attach my queen cell cups. The golf tees stick into the corks, and they fit nicely into the bottles for the incubator, for transport, or for sale. Keeps them from fighting each other.

Have two tier pricing if you are worried about spending too much time on singles. I agree that $5 singles are not worth messing with, but if you had a routine where you could sell 20 or so at a time - even if it was to several people - every Saturday morning during the season...
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b