Default Best Top Hive Feeder?

I'm a new beekeeper, and I still need to buy a hive top feeder. I bought one from Brushy, but then returned it because I was suggested a better one from California, but I cannot remember what the suppliers name was. Does anyone know?
    Last edited by ElKat; 04-22-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Default Re: Best Top Hive Feeder?

I'm sure this is not the answer you were looking for, but, the best hive top feeder is a migratory top with a 2 3/4 inch hole cut in it and a standard Mason Jar ( pint, quart, half gallon or gallon) with a half dozen tiny holes in the lid.

cchoganjr

I like the one's Kelley Bee sells, holds four gallons of syrup and is screened to keep the bees inside. Very little drowning and you can fill without the bees getting out.

Jars through an inner cover work too, but the amount the bees can take at a time is much more limited -- I've had them pull down 2 gallons in an afternoon with the Kelley feeders.

Peter

I'm using the Beemax feeder....

http://www.belmontfeedandseed.com/be...op-feeder.html

Nice that you can refill without actually opening the hive and very few drowned bees....;- )
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 5H OAV

Try the Bee Smart feeders they have two styles that work pretty well and hold about a gallon of sugar syurp.

Poor valley bee farm

There's quite a good description of feeders pros and cons about half way down this page from Randy Olivers site

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/fat-bees-part-3/

His recommendation as also mentioned above, plywood top with hole and quart mason jar with small holes

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    I like the one's Kelley Bee sells, holds four gallons of syrup and is screened to keep the bees inside. Very little drowning and you can fill without the bees getting out.

Jars through an inner cover work too, but the amount the bees can take at a time is much more limited -- I've had them pull down 2 gallons in an afternoon with the Kelley feeders.

Peter
    Not sure about anyone else but in the spring I don't want them to pull it down fast so they don't backfill the broodnest. Fall feeding that is a horse of a different color