Thread: Swarm question

Default Swarm question

Hi, first year beeKeeper here. I have only two hives currently. My question is that when you catch a swarm, do you always put a frame of brood in with each one?

Default Re: Swarm question

If I have a frame of eggs and brood I put 1 frame in with swarms and packages. I have yet to have the new bees abscond with this method.
    Dave

Placing a frame of brood with the new swarm is always a good idea because it will help anchor the bees to their new home, I caught 4 swarms last year and did not add brood to the box, one of the swarms tried to abscond on me but I was able to re-hive it.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Thanks guys. Will removing a frame or two over the course of the year decrease the amount of honey I have the potential to produce?

agree with the others, have yet to loose one after adding a frame of brood, but have lost several when no frame was added. don't think you'll hurt your other hives by stealing one frame here and there.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Empty brood comb will work as well, bees really like it, and the queen will lay in it within a day or two of hiving the swarm if there is old comb available.

A frame or two of eggs or young brood will make very little difference, capped brood is a bit more "expensive" to the hive since they've been fed up to capping, but one or two won't hurt.

The brood will be a nice boost for the new hive along with persuading the swarm to stay put.

Peter