Thread: Swarm traps

Hybrid View

Default Swarm traps

What time of the year is a good time to set swarm traps in east Tennessee

Default Re: Swarm traps

Its a little early at this point. I will have mine out by mid-February. Last year I had traps out March 1, and caught one swarm near the end of March.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

My trap are newly built so they have the sent of new wood I have to use new frames and foundation as well should the be set a little early for that new sent to evaporate.

What do you use for attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillydog View Post
    What do you use for attraction.
    I just used a few drops of lemongrass oil (LGO) directly on the wood inside the trap.

You may be able to find LGO at local health food store. Or order online, I bought mine at:
    http://www.100pureessentialoils.com/lemongrass-oil.html
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillydog View Post
    My trap are newly built so they have the sent of new wood I have to use new frames and foundation as well should the be set a little early for that new sent to evaporate.What do you use for attraction.
    Place a few wads of beeswax and propolis on and inside the entrance and melt them down with a heat gun. You now have instantly aged your trap. Add old combs and LGO and you are off to the races.

Thanks for the info

I do it pretty much as Rader. -js

Around here it's just about dandelion bloom in normal years. Last year was weird, swarms were erratic and HUGE -- a buddy of mine weighed his, and it was almost 9 lbs of bees! Not as many as usual, though, and none after mid April, then a rash of very small swarms in September and into October for some reason, which is NOT normal around here.

Walt Wright does his checker boarding about 8 weeks before apple blossom in order to head off swarming, so think maybe 4 weeks before apple blossom of swarms to start emerging. Depending on weather, the date could move a week or more in either direction, with the usual pattern being swarms on the first warm, low wind day after cool or wet weather during swarm season.

Peter

if you have them outside now, the 'new scent of the wood will wear off.

i caught several in new boxes last year. i had good success with mann lake's swarm lure.

this year, i will have some drawn brood comb to add as a lure.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives