Thread: Plant Protein

Default Plant Protein

Are there other forms of protein sources for bees besides pollen?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Plant Protein

Yes. The pollen patties sold by nearly every bee supply place is comprised of soy protein and some other protein sources ground to the approximate size of pollen grains. I'm pretty sure one of the other components is a by product of citric acid production, if you taste the dry mega bee it has a citrus-like flavor. The trick is getting the bees to eat it.

Ah, I should of asked about natural sources. I thought that because bees are successfully fed protein supplements that they might also find it naturally in some other part of the plant or their environment.
    Brian Cardinal

Corn, wheat, oat and soybean dust after combine harvests the crop. This is the signal to start the flury of posts about dreadful GMO, pesticides, seed coatings, etc, etc"ad nauseum".

I really wasn't thinking of that but just remember who started it.

I asked because people (including myself) have noticed bees bringing in pollen this late in the season and I was wondering if it was all pollen or some other protein source. Do adult bees eat pollen or is it just brood and young bees?
    Brian Cardinal

I often wondered if bee chewed up plant material to bring home too when nothing was blooming. Last time I was at my hive and the bees were flying they were bringing home groceries.

Bees will collect anything that resembles pollen if there isn't enough around, including rock and coal dusts. However, they only get any good out of pollen, it's all the protein they normally get. Other vegetable protein won't hurt them in particular (soy meal, yeast, etc) but pollen is what they eat when left on their own.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    .... but pollen is what they eat when left on their own. Peter
    Do worker bees eat pollen? Did they eat also honey during "normal operation", not in winter? When I purify wax after crush-and-strain extraction, I noticed that especially old wax contains a lot of debris - something like fibers. I am wondering what it may be? Anybody know?
    Серёжа, Sergey