Default Hopguard changes in WA state

Just got a shipment of Hopguard from Mann Lake. Enclosed was a notice that Washington State asked for, and received, a change in emergency 18 status for the number of treatments allowed annually for Hopguard. The TOTAL allowed annual treatment is now "six" treatments (or 12 strips) per 10 frame box per year. This means two three successive week (spring and fall) treatments are now "legal" in WA. Sorry if this is old news, haven't seen anything here about this

Default Re: Hopguard changes in WA state

My understanding is that the change was done to allow for mid winter treatments also.

The 12 strip per year "limit" is vague enough to allow individual beekeepers to decide "when" for themselves. The fact that in the first week of November I just purchased more Hopguard might indicate MY intentions regarding winter treatment My spring/fall statement was meant more as "for example". I'm interested to see how other states respond/react...(Also, the beeks). For example, OA dribble is illegal as a mite treatment, but legal, if as Randy Oliver states, one is bleaching the wood of his/her top bars. OA vapor isn't legal as a bleaching technique. Hmm... will this change in Hopguard open the door even wider for more treatment experimenting by beeks? Only time, and the results posted on the forums may tell.
    I don't keep bees, I tend bees. Does this make me a beet?
    Sea level, Puget Sound, USDA 7a-7b

Quote Originally Posted by rsjohnson2u View Post
    (Also, the beeks). For example, OA dribble is illegal as a mite treatment, but legal, if as Randy Oliver states, one is bleaching the wood of his/her top bars. OA vapor isn't legal as a bleaching technique. Hmm... will this change in Hopguard open the door even wider for more treatment experimenting by beeks? Only time, and the results posted on the forums may tell.
    With a wink and a nod...bleaching your top bars with a wood bleach solution...I personally like to use a 3.2% sucrose based solution to keep my top bars nice and clean is perfectly legal. It's an unfortunate reality that "some or all" of it spills on the bees. I've found that 30-40 mils per 10 frames works best

Quote Originally Posted by rbees View Post
    With a wink and a nod...bleaching your top bars with a wood bleach solution...I personally like to use a 3.2% sucrose based solution to keep my top bars nice and clean is perfectly legal. It's an unfortunate reality that "some or all" of it spills on the bees. I've found that 30-40 mils per 10 frames works best
    Hey rbees. When are you bleaching your top bars this year? I believe you told me earlier that it was sometime mid December? This will be my first "bleaching" and judging by your nucs your doing something right.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State