Embarrassed First year beekeeper, in Kentucky

Hi all, just wanted to see if there are any fellow Kentuckians I can make friends with? I got started in April of this year with a package from Kelley's. then in early June, I made a split off a friend's booming hive and let it raise it's own queen. So i have two hives going into winter. Using langs. location just north of Louisville. I joined the local and the state beekeepers association, and have a mentor who has been beekeeping since age 13 who has been so helpful. Just trying to connect with anyone who wants to! I've learned so much this year just hanging around other bee keepers and reading books and online. I have been referring to this site all year but just now got the time to actually make a username so I can post. I am looking to expand in the spring, maybe just to 4 or 5. I have all the hive parts ready for spring except that I need to buy a bunch of frames. I had already started to get swarm calls last year, so hopefully I can gain a few next year that way. I have found that this hobby is addicting and fulfills the reason why I started it...stress relief. Nothing chills me more than to be out there with the bees!

One question I have, when people respond to your thread, do you get an email?

Cheers, and nice to "meet" you all!

Default Re: First year beekeeper, in Kentucky

Never mind to that last question, I saw the answer once I posted.

Good to have you on board Melanie, 4 or 5 hives will keep you plenty busy, sounds like you have everything lined out for spring, all my best to you, feel free to PM me anytime, take care.....Bill
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Welcome Melanie!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to Beesource, Melanie!

You can control whether or not you get email notifications about replies to your posts via setting in the "

area of Beesource. Once you get to "General Settings", look for "Default Thread Subscription Mode".

There is a Beesource Member Locator, if you want to try to find nearby members. This thread has more info, in particular post #3:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...m-my-own-state
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Welcome to the forum. I'm about as far in West KY you can go without crossing the river to Illinois or Missouri. You will find lots of good information on this board and be sure to check out some of the long time posters personal websites - Michael Bush comes to mind. There are several folks from Kentucky on the forum on and off. Since things are slowing down for the year we beek's have more time to sit in front of the computer and dream of next year.

Good luck on this addictive hobby...
    Tim

Welcome Melanie,

1st year beek in KY too. Started in April with a package from W.T. Kelley.
    I am where TN, VA, and KY all three meet.
    Nice to meet ya.

Thanks Tim and scorpionmain! Do you all attend Field Day at Walter Kelly? I did last year and enjoyed it!

How many hives do you all have?

hello Melanie,
    I live in Louisville/ Sellersburg
    beekeeper for 4 years now
    I was on the chat room first time minutes ago, too strange for me, Michael was starting to talk to you.
    Good luck!
    joretjy@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieWoosley View Post
    Thanks Tim and scorpionmain! Do you all attend Field Day at Walter Kelly? I did last year and enjoyed it!

Not been, but would love to.
    I only have one hive.
    I hope to be expanding in the spring.

Welcome Melanie,

Sounds like you got a good start. You can find just about thing you need to know about bees here, just ask and someone will help you out. I'm on the south east end of the state near Hazard.

Bonjour, Jean-Yves. SO cool to know you are in Louisville sellers burg area. I am in LaGrange about 20 miles north of Louisville. Would love to keep your email for future reference, and you can keep mine, melaniewoosley@aol.com

Welcome Melanie, I'm in the Bardstown area about an hour from Lagrange. This forum board is filled with good info, I missed the field day at Kelley's this year but did make the spring bee school at KSU, I've been keeping bees for 7 years and try to make all of the bee gatherings throughout the year. I recommend them if for no other reason than being able to talk to other beekeepers face to face.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieWoosley View Post

I've been in beekeeping since 2007 and have about 30 hives right now, got up to 40 some this late summer but with the drought this year have a lot of the summer nucs that I had to combine or have died out. Lesson learned...when in a drought don't split and make nucs you aren't willing to feed all summer/fall/winter long. Like the optimistic farmer next year will be better!

No, I was not able to make the Kelley field day although I really wanted to. I did make it up to HAS annual conference in St. Louis and it was wonderful, it will be in Cookville, TN next year. Definately glad I went. Planning to hit a bunch of the KY conferences starting in early 2013 if I can get them into my schedule.

Good luck on your beekeeping.

Tim