Default Comb Honey Frames (split of grooved)

Which do you all prefer for cut comb honey frames? Split or grooved bottoms? Ive been using grooved but I get slight warpage and was thinking maybe split would allow the wax to sag a little instead of warping.

Thanks for your thoughts
    Dan Williams
    Last edited by pine_ridge_farms; 11-24-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Default Re: Comb Honey Frames (split of grooved)

Neither Dan. Use solid bottom. What kind of top bar are you using? You should use shallow thin top bar frames from Kelley. Either slotted top bar, or grooved...which are easier to keep foundation straight.

The warping isn't caused by the bottom bar. It's caused by using a full sheet of foundation which touches the bottom bar...whichever style you use. The bees attach the foundation to the bottom bar, and then draw it out into comb. The foundation sags as they draw it anyway, but if it's attached to the bottom, it sags sideways and makes that curl along the bottom of the comb. When you install the foundation, it should be cut so the bottom edge hangs about 3/8 from the bottom bar. Then it hangs as the bees draw it out, and the comb is straight.

it depends on what type foundation you are using,,

TALK WITH THE SUPPLIER !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Neither Dan. Use solid bottom. What kind of top bar are you using? You should use shallow thin top bar frames from Kelley. Either slotted top bar, or grooved...which are easier to keep foundation straight.

The warping isn't caused by the bottom bar. It's caused by using a full sheet of foundation which touches the bottom bar...whichever style you use. The bees attach the foundation to the bottom bar, and then draw it out into comb. The foundation sags as they draw it anyway, but if it's attached to the bottom, it sags sideways and makes that curl along the bottom of the comb. When you install the foundation, it should be cut so the bottom edge hangs about 3/8 from the bottom bar. Then it hangs as the bees draw it out, and the comb is straight.
    How do you keep the foundation in place with slotted top bars. Makes sense to cut the foundation down some. The part I am getting the sag in is the very bottom section like you are talking about. It doesn't effect the chunk honey much but I would prefer it look a little nicer.
    Thanks

Do you mean "Cut comb frames? Around here comb honey is in basswood sections or Ross rounds.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Do you mean "Cut comb frames? Around here comb honey is in basswood sections or Ross rounds.

Crazy Roland
    Yes cut comb frames. Just trying to improve on what I already do.

Glue the foundation in with a hot wax tube. I made a rack to hold the frames. Looks like an embedding board, but able to take 4 frames at a time. I install the foundation in all 4, remove the first...wax has cooled. Place another frame on board, slip foundation into groove and glue...etc, etc. The board is vertical...leaning up against the back of my bench so the wax stays in the groove as it cools.

Most comb honey foundation is too wide to install properly. It will go from top bar to bottom bar, and I guarantee the result will be a sag...curl..along the bottom quarter of the comb. Section foundation is narrower, but thinner, and it's difficult to pick up the cut piece without damaging it. Cut comb foundation is a bit stronger. I made a jig to cut the foundation so every piece would be the same and no guess work.

Thanks pine Ridge - I am no help to you, we do basswood sections only.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Glue the foundation in with a hot wax tube. I made a rack to hold the frames. Looks like an embedding board, but able to take 4 frames at a time.
    Hey Michael, I'm getting ready to install some comb honey foundation per your instructions. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that rack would you?