Default Bees & Honey Vacations?

Hey everybody,

I thought I saw that somebody posted photos of wild bees and hives they took while touring on an overseas vacation. Really neat pictures of hives hanging from cliffs in Indonesia or Vietnam, does that ring a bell with anybody? Regardless, has anybody seen or heard of any bees, honey, beekeeping-type of vacations or points of interest, be it here in the United States or elsewhere in the world? Rural, commercial, wild hive management, etc. Anybody see old articles of this type in the beekeeping magazines they could forward the issue number to? I would be interested in seeing how bees are kept in other parts of the world and perhaps visiting some of those locations. Maybe others who plan to travel might want to detour over to a honey locale, too.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Default Re: Bees & Honey Vacations?

You spent an hour at my shop this afternoon. You are going to have a had time besting that.

Quote Originally Posted by d-amick View Post
    I thought I saw that somebody posted photos of wild bees and hives they took while touring on an overseas vacation. Really neat pictures of hives hanging from cliffs in Indonesia or Vietnam, does that ring a bell with anybody?
    Look up "apis dorsata".

Bee vacation/tour. A bus load of people book into a hotel in Cuba, Yucatan, Ukraine, China, England or whatever fits, the visitors see apiculture at home, on the farm, commercial and processing. They see the lands' natural beauty and archtectural wonders, get exposed to the better aspects of the culture, get their National Geographic pix and never stray more than fifty miles from their lodgings. Sounds great only thing where is it? I stressed the potential for this program in a report I made after a working short stay in Russia. I proposed this to equally blank stares in Cuba and China and my own home community. It seems that even beekeepers don't feel that there is that level of interest in our community but I am convinced otherwise.

Comes right down to it I think I could keep an international or single ethnicity group of intrepid beekeeper adventurers on the edge of ecstacy right here on the lower mainland. H'mmm

Sounds like the upcoming Organic Beekeepers conference in Oracle, Arizona, March 1-3. We meet in the mountains northeast of Tucson, talk bees non-stop for three days, hike the trails during breaks, walk the dirt roads in the moonlight, then whoever wants to convoys down to Dee Lusby's place in the desert south of Tucson. We camp out in her house for more days of obsessive bee talk, pile into the back of her 1980's pickup truck (amazing vehicle) for tours of her bee yards, make foundation on her mill, tour her honey house, ride around the desert and eat at the local establishments (I believe the oldest standing bar in Arizona is in Arivaca, home of the buffalo soldiers).

We are about to go out there for our seventh visit and it is never boring! Amazing to see bees thriving in the desert without beekeeper inputs amid all the wild plants and animals. Once we spent a month with Dee working bees and cleaning up old frames outdoors while listening to country-western music on an authentic 1960's am radio. It doesn't get better than that! (But then, we're beekeepers ...)

Start planning your tour, Chris...

Ramona

Slovenia is promoting Beekeeping Tourism. Click below:
    http://www.beekeeping-tourism.si/default_en.asp?

Slovenia is in Central Europe, and has a complicated history, but in the recent past it was part of Yugoslavia.
    Graham
    --- HVAC design via ESP ... Who'd a thunk it ...