Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

smoker fuel bonanza

8K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Intheswamp 
#1 ·
the cotton has been harvested here.

i got permission to gather up some that was left over, underneath where the big bales once stood.

i filled up a couple of bags in just a few minutes.

should be good for next season.

#5 ·
The only thing applied before harvest is a defoliant.
That isn't particularly reassuring. Agent Orange was also a defoliant. :eek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defoliant

However, its not likely that the defoliant used on US cotton is Agent Orange. Bayer has a cotton defoliant product, Ginstar, that appears to be fairly benign, at least after the liquid has dried on the plant.
http://www.agrian.com/pdfs/Ginstar_Ec_Cotton_Defoliant_(84_Version_15_12222004)_MSDS.pdf

#6 ·
googled bole weavil spraying, looks like they're not spraying much for that anymore. not sure about the fungus.

i do appreciate the concern ab. there's a bee supply place nearby that sells cotton for smoker fuel, and that's what gave me the idea.

i'll try not to inhale.

#8 ·
plenty of those johno, and thats what i've been using. a bit of a pain to get the smoker going though and the smoke is pretty harsh. i'm told that the cotton burns longer and cooler. ab has got me thinking though, and i think i'll be calling the supplier to see if there is anything 'special' about his cotton.

#9 ·
I had the same idea and gathered several bags a few weeks ago. I used some in my smoker a few days ago to my satisfaction. I was a little concerned about chemical residue, but considering my bees pollinated the cotton while they were spraying all year long and the bees and their keeper survived short term exposure. The verdict is still out on long term exposure. Any residual hopefully won't do much more harm. The cotton gin does not wash cotton, so I wonder if the cotton sold as smoker fuel has been washed. I read a post (http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?237963-Cotton-as-a-smoker-fuel) and thought on the subject has been stimulated.

#13 ·
just had a conversation with a neighbor, who thinks he can find out what this cotton may have been sprayed with. he said an herbicide is typically used when the cotton is mature, which makes the plants drop their leaves, and enables an easier harvest.

#19 ·
here's the reply i got from my state apiarist:

"Good morning Kevin,

I have asked a couple of people but no response.

I suggest you use at your own risk!

But on a personal note, I would be hesitant to use. With the chemicals used and we do not know what chemicals are emitted during burning………………..?

Thanks

Dennis "

americasbeekeeper, sincere thanks for calling my attention to this.

#21 ·
I, too, had heard about using cotton for smoker fuel, but my real interest was in the plant itself. I read that it had nice flowers (start out pink, change to white), and bees would be attracted to it. So, on one of my road trips, I gathered a few cotton boles from Georgia, brought them home, separated the seed from the actual cotton, and then planted the seeds. I grew lovely cotton plants! And they are such a source of education, also. Most people have no idea what a cotton bole even is (how clothe is manufactured, etc.). Anyway, my cotton plants are 100% organic, as is my hive, as is everything grown in my yard - so no worries from me on burning this in my smoker. Results - not impressed! The cotton did not stay lighted sufficiently to conduct a full inspection of my hives. I went back to pine needles - love 'em! But I'll keep growing the cotton, because it's way cool.

#23 ·
Mann Lakes sells cotton smoking fuel. I got a couple of packages from them a year or so back to finish an order out to 100 bucks. It burns real fast, so I used it as a starter fuel. it's real easy to light, and then one can place some hard wood above the cotton. I didn't see anything detrimental to my bees, but I won't be ordering it again.

#25 ·
sqaurepeg, I know what you mean about the pinestraw being harsh. I even had some capping honey that I can smell/taste the pinestraw smoke in. :( My mentor told me to get some wood pellets and use them...better smelling smoke and it doesn't stink up your clothes as bad. Now don't get me wrong, I have a big pine forest on the property and would love to use the straw but...

Anyhow, I couldn't get the pellets to light and stay burning using a propane torch (what my mentor uses). I complained to my mentor and he off-handedly said "well get some grass and stuff in there". That's what I do now....ball up a wad of mowed yard grass between baseball and softball size, hold over the top of the smoker and light the bottom, let it flame up and then lightly push it down into the smoker. Start pumping. Get that thick rolling smoke going and push the grass down into the smoker more solidly with your hive tool. Make sure it's still smoking thickly. Pour about half a smoker full of pellets on top of the grass and commence to pumping again until the smoke is rolling out thick. Add some more pellets if you want to. Once your satisfied with it then wad up some green grass/weeds and put on top of the pellets to keep them from rolling out when you point your smoker downward (you'd probably do this anyway to keep ashes from blowing out). Close her up and start working. I can work my five hives with no problem of the smoker going out or running out of fuel. A full smoker (I use the Kelley Cloud Chief) will be good fuel-wise for probably three inspections. I simply pour the used pellets into a metal pan when I get ready to relight for another inspection, add a ball of grass to get it going and gradually add by the semi-burned pellets....seems to burn good. After three inspections I figure pellets are cheap enough and start over with some new ones. The grass has a strong smell to it but it doesn't last long...the oak is a sight better than pine (and I've smelled a lot of pines being burned off!!).

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw that at you and looks like I got long-winded. I had thought about using some field cotton, too, but always wondered about the defoliants and whatnot. I think Dennis was giving you his gut feeling on that...and I trust gut feelings.

Best wishes,
Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.