Thread: Drought Theory

Hybrid View

Default Drought Theory

My honey, in buckets, is crystalizing sooner than in years past. I thought maybe it wasn't heated as much as in the past during the extracting process. Now I am wondering about the conditions underwhich the honey was produced by the bees. Droughty conditions.

Theory: Honey produced under drought conditions will crystalize sooner after extraction than honey produced under normal climate conditions.

I didn't check moisture content during or after extracting, not having a refractometer. So I don't know if the honey is low moisture content or not. Amongst other factors, I wonder if low moisture content honey naturally crystalizes sooner than higher moisture content honey. What role does moisture content play? And does drought factor into making low moisture honey?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Default Re: Drought Theory

You may be on to something Mark,i do know that some crops are sweeter during drought years. Like melons, sweetcorn,strawberries, apples, ect. They don't get as big in growth but they do have a higher sugar content.

Asked a friend of mine who replied "lots of factors involved. ratio of the two main 6 carbon chain sugars is one"

Mark, our honey is crystalizing too quickly this year. Honey that we bottled and then sold to places like Whole Foods is crystalizing within a month. Not all of it, but about 5% of the product is crystalizing making it unattractive to consumers.

Why, do you think? Do you bottle much RAW or creamed honey?

I think it is because we had a mild winter which resulted in a robust nectar season at first. Here in VA we only harvest once and that is in July. Because the winter was mild, plants had an opportunity to grow faster and sooner resulting in a decent nectar flow. My honey harvest wasnt bad, but wasnt great. We bottle about 5000 pounds a year for customers along with selling wholesale.

Our colonies are down in Florida now and about to go on 4000 acres of Orange Groves. I am looking for a wholesale market to sell the Blossom Honey down in Florida since I am told that the bees produce tons of honey in the groves.