Default adding a third deep or med

I have one strong hive going into the winter. They are in two deeps and full. The weather has been real pleasant so fat, lows 40s high 60s. Bees are still real buy bringing in polln. I hve not been into the hive lately, but last time I did they had plenty of stores, pollen and alot of brood. I am still feeding some. Would they benefit by adding another box? If the queen is still laying, I afraid they might need more room. Need advice please. Thanks

Default Re: adding a third deep or med

Do you have drawn out comb?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Do not add another box. At this time of year the colony should be decreasing in population and storing your feed, not growing and building comb. Even if the queen is laying, she is likely laying less eggs than adult bees are dying each day. This is totally normal for fall.
    You don't want to add empty space in the hive above the colony.
    Keep feeding if they are light, otherwise, stop feeding and let them settle for winter.

Best to you and your bees,
    -Erin
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

First year Beek here, I put a fifth super on in the middle of august because I was running out of room, many bees used this super to hang out, but when it became cool and cold, they all clustered in the lower supers, I removed the fifth super, I have three supers full of honey the brood chamber is fine, reading from the above statement now I know why many bees are dying, it's just part of the process.
    I will need to split and start a new nuc next sprint, have everything ready to go.
    Hives all wrapped up, but I'm still using the mouse guard entrance, with aluminum tape across the screen to limit wind access, One and one half inch on both ends seems to work well for entering and exiting the hive. When it gets below freezing I will switch to the single entrance reducer to prevent cold from entering the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Warren View Post
    I have three supers full of honey the brood chamber is fine,
    Sounds like a lot of honey to leave. You didn't want to harvest any?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Sounds like a lot of honey to leave. You didn't want to harvest any?

As a Newbee I was told don't harvest the first year, so that's why I didn't, I'm still learning!

Dave, most people tell newbies not to expect to harvest any honey the first year, because your bees are just starting out. If you have a good hive that stored plenty of honey there is no reason not to harvest some of it. How many hives do you have?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks