Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: pov article

Default Re: pov article

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    understood dean. would you give more weight to # of mites washed off workers from the brood nest?

recommended thresholds aside, would it not be of value to know the percent infestation rate, as an indicator of how well or not a particular colony is dealing with the mites? (to weigh in along with other factors in terms of considering that queen for grafting).
    Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    dean, was it a bad question?
    apparantly dean has no use for mite counts, and i would never deny him that perogative.

i for one really wish i would have taken the time to do them this year, so i could compare them to the other data i have journaled for each hive.

i might have been able to intervene in time regarding the one dead out i've already had due to mites this year, not to mention the other two hives that are really iffy at this point.

i think the recommendations in the pov article are nothing more than some common sense guidelines for someone trying to improve the overall resistance to varroa in their apiary.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

...Dean is also busy as heck. Remember, he has a wife that also reads Beesource. If Dean is seen posting to Beesource instead of bottling honey, shipping packages, or doing other work that needs to be done while she is at the market (the one in a tent, in New England, in the winter), then things won't go very well for him. Dean is spending his time where he feels it is best spent.

deknow

very wise indeed dean. your priorities, your agenda....

i thinks it's great you are taking time to help us.

will follow what you have to say on the 'other' forum (the suspense is killing me )

supposed to have your book by tomorrow. looking forward to seeing what you have to say there....
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    she is at the market (the one in a tent, in New England, in the winter),
    Would it make sense to invest in a camper that has all the comforts of home or even rent it. Many people have to pay to store it this time of year. I am sure some would love to get paid.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Guys, much has been discussed about breeding or developing varoa resistant bees, as per the Erickson paper and use of hygenic strains ie: VSH and such. However the seems to be anotherstrain SMR tha was tested by Spivak and appeared to have better results than the VSH strains. These tests were conducted around 2005, the paper mentioned that the SMR line was bred by Harper and Hoopingarner in 1997. I wonder what has become of that line as I have not really seen mention of it lately
    John

Smr was rebranded as VSH.

Deknow

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234