Default A Guy Who Paid For American foulbrood

Hi all, i worked for a beekeeper who a few months ago purchased 6 pallets of infected boxes and took them back to his home town and bee shed, his intentions was to have them radiated be using them, but around 6 weeks ago ( without radiating the boxes) we took them out to use them on beehives that were "suspect" AFB anyway, every hive got a dose of antibiotics.

Since quitting not long after (for unrelated reasons) i have brought some bee boxes myself that wont be anywhere near his hives by the way, and in doing my own reasearch i discovered the true seriousness of the disease and that antibiotics only mask the problem.

The boxes were stored in the shed wraped tightly in plastic, when unwrapping them they had a potent smell (almost like famenting vegimite).

Anyway dose that mean all his hives would be infected? would it get thru alll his extraction equipment and into his other hives?

If so im definatly never going to buy anything off him or go near them again, i actually thought he would know better.

Default Re: A Guy Who Paid For American foulbrood

Burn them.

i thought antibiotics were against the law in australia?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Sounds like they should just be destroyed and yes you should avoid using any of his comb. It may well be, though, what you saw and smelled wasn't even AFB but just moldy and fermenting comb. Wrapping boxes tightly in plastic is NOT the proper way to store comb.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Look for and read the New Zealand research on AFB. As part of their study they introduced AFB into a yard and the results were clear. Burn the equipment (although boxes are low concern and can be "cleaned"), read the research and spread the word, not the disease.

Question Re: A Guy Who Paid For American foulbrood

Quote Originally Posted by BeemasterG View Post
    Hi all, i worked for a beekeeper who a few months ago purchased 6 pallets of infected boxes and took them back to his home town and bee shed, his intentions was to have them radiated be using them, but around 6 weeks ago ( without radiating the boxes) we took them out to use them on beehives that were "suspect" AFB anyway, every hive got a dose of antibiotics.

Since quitting not long after (for unrelated reasons) i have brought some bee boxes myself that wont be anywhere near his hives by the way, and in doing my own reasearch i discovered the true seriousness of the disease and that antibiotics only mask the problem.

The boxes were stored in the shed wraped tightly in plastic, when unwrapping them they had a potent smell (almost like famenting vegimite).

Anyway dose that mean all his hives would be infected? would it get thru alll his infectedand into his other hives?

If so im definatly never going to buy anything off him or go near them again, i actually thought he would know better.

Why not radiated the use the woodware And why did you buy AFB woodware And yes at will infected alll his extraction equipment and into his other hives

Hope this help you
    http://youtu.be/05tCHtUyNHM

http://youtu.be/wyiaV222JoQ

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Last edited by Jim 134; 11-26-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Beemasterg is antibiotics for AFB treatment legal in Australia? If not, best thing you can do is report him.

If it is legal, nothing you can do but I'd avoid him like the plague, or you will probably end up sorry.

It's a sad fact of human psychology, that most people deal with their AFB, but the odd person comes along who for whatever reason is "different", they never eradicate it properly, and spend their lives infecting everybody else.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).