Thread: Bees dying

Default Bees dying

I recently made some candy board for my top feeder for the winter, placed it in my hive.
    I had about 4 lbs left over so I placed it in a pan on top of the hive so the bees could have some food with the temperatures in the mid-50's, one thing I am noticing is the amount of bees dying around the candy board, there is about 20 dead bees per day dead.
    During the daytime the hive entrance which is constricted due the my mouse guard has a flurry of activity, things seem normal.
    I popped the top feeder and looked in the hive yesterday, (temp was 63) bees were hanging out on one of the frames, they looked like they were capping the last frame.
    It's gonna become winter Tomorrow or friday, with temps remaining in the upper 30's so today Thanksgiving is the last day for them to get their work done.
    Does anyone place Apiguard in the winter?
    I'm going to change out the entrance board in the next several days for the final shutdown.

Default Re: Bees dying

Dead bees with open feeding is normal. It is almost too late for Apiguard, f You are going to follow the directions.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

From what I can determine , it is too late for apiguard , I used some earlier , but am still finding a lot of dead bees outside one of my hives , it is situated on a deck so the dead bees are easy to see and count.

I have noticed some mites on the deck as well for the firts time , so I may have a mite problem.

I have been reading up on Oxalic acid vaporizers , apparently they can be used if the temperature is above three or four degrees , I have some on order and it should be here this weekend , I am going to give it a go.

jwbee,
    You can use OA vapor this time of the year for a thorough mite kill however may I make a suggestion, If you are using a Heilyser of Varrox type vaporizer be sure and blow some smoke directly into the entrance to drive the cluster up a little bit or you will end up with a number of fried bees in the vaporizer when finished as well as a lot of very angry bees.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    jwbee,
    You can use OA vapor this time of the year for a thorough mite kill however may I make a suggestion, If you are using a Heilyser of Varrox type vaporizer be sure and blow some smoke directly into the entrance to drive the cluster up a little bit or you will end up with a number of fried bees in the vaporizer when finished as well as a lot of very angry bees.
    Thanks for the tip www , I don't like the Heilyser unit for just that reason , I made one of my own design out of copper pipe with the heat source outside the hive , only the vapors enter the hive.

What type of heat source do you use? I have been considering designing a way to incorporate a diesel glow plug into my stainless tube vaporizer for a more controlled sublimation of the OA. I did purchase a Heilyser a few weeks back, thus the fried bee experience.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

20 bees per day doesn't sound too bad.

You could try grease patties if you really think mites are a problem http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/2...ies%202010.pdf

They might just be dumping bodies up there instead of outside too.

jwbee
    don't use copper for your vaporizer, OA and copper starts a corrosion. With new copper, no problem but as soon the copper is green you bring poison into your hive. This will end up in leftover honey and wax. It is not healthy for you and your honey customers. You can go for stainless steel without a problem.