Default Putting Girls away for the year. Thanks for the help this season!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the help this season. I had a relatively good year for a 1st season. No honey but my hives are strong and ready for winter I believe.

Here is what I have done for winter:

Treated with Hopguard in late september and early october. Results: Definately varroa but did not get a huge drop.

Treated for nosema with nos-e-vit

Placed popsicle sticks underneath the inner cover to get some air flow. (hives had very high moisture)

Wrapped hives in three inch styrofoam that was given to me.

Here is how they look after Monday:

Default Re: Putting Girls away for the year. Thanks for the help this season!

Now comes the hard part, waiting for spring!
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Already making plans. Going to try and get to ten hives in the spring. I will split my two hives and then do some packages. I was at the shop looking at some extractors earlier this week. Takes time when you do it without debt but everything you makes goes to the new not to pay for the old.

What about the 2 back hives? Are they cold natured bees and don't need the insulation?

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    What about the 2 back hives? Are they cold natured bees and don't need the insulation?
    Those hives aren't mine. The property owner allowed him in after I setup my hives this spring. I haven't met him yet but he keeps up with his hives for the most part but apparently decided not to wrap them. We will see who comes out stronger in the spring!

With three inch foam on the sides and no foam on top you are creating an enviroment that encourages condensation to form on the inside cover right where you don't want it. It will be the coldest surface in the hive. Pop some insulation on top of those hives is what I would do!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I have a 3/4 inch insulation board under the top cover above the inner cover. Should I still put foam on the top? I didn't want to totally seal the top off so moisture could get out under the inner cover at the popsicle sticks.