Thread: Honey Pump

Default Honey Pump

Hello
    I am building a honey pump and was wondering if anybody had an idea for the proper pulley sizes.
    I have a 220V, 1 hp motor that puts out 2850 RPM, and have purchased a Jabsco 1" pump.
    I am trying to figure out the pulley sizes?, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Default Re: Honey Pump

The best way is to decide what RPM you need to drive the pump at is to start with a manufacturers recommendation. You didn't post the model number of your pump, but some Jabsco pumps expect to be driven at 1500 RPM. If that is the RPM you want to drive your pump at, the relative circumference ratio of the pulleys should be 2850/1500 = 1.9 You can then use that ratio to calculate pulley sizes.

But the easier way is to use some else's calculator. Here is a handy calculator that you can use to figure pulley sizes.
    http://www.temecularodrun.com/ref/rpm_calc.asp
    You want to use the online calculator at the bottom of the page. Don't bother using the downloadable calculator at the top of the page.

Using that calculator, if you decide to put a 5" diameter drive pulley on the motor, the pump would get a 9.5" diameter pulley. You can plug in other starting points, depending on what pulleys you have access to that fit the shafts. If you want to slow down the pump more, make the pump pulley larger than what the calculator recommends, or lower the "driven" pulley RPM.

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thumbs Up Re: Honey Pump

Thank you

The calculator works very well!!
    I have a Jabsco 777-9001 and if I am reading everything correctly I should have an output of 633 RPM using a 2" pulley on the motor and a 9" pulley on the pump. With this set up I should be doing 7.5 gallons per minute.

Default Re: Honey Pump

My thanks also rader, I was given a pump that is old as the moon, still works but the motor is bad. the motor is like 3/4 horse but is huge. this calculater will come in handy....GB
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ