Default My bottom board combo

Almost a year ago was was looking at many different screened bottom board, slatted rack designs. Nothing caught my fancy. So I made my own. Here's my hive stand, screened bottom board, & slatted rack combo. And if I don't like the slatted rack....I can cut it off.IMG_0208.jpgIMG_0209.jpgIMG_0210.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: My bottom board combo

Beautiful workmanship!
    Is there some kind of finish on the wood? It kind of looks like an oil or varnish...very attractive!
    Is the back door for the tray a removable panel or hinged?
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Educate me. What's the purpose of the wooden slatted piece above the screened bottom?

I like the general idea of what you've created here, although for me, having the slatted board separate would feel more comfortable around general maintenance. It could be held in clips to help maintain alignment as the hive is worked, but still be easily releasable if necessary.

Gumpy, the slatted board is supposed to help with managing bee space. The offset from the bottom of the frames with a slatted board is typically about 3/8" and you have about 3/4" below the slats for space that the bees can gather away from the frames while they are dealing with heat management, etc. This can also help to deter burr comb under the frames at the bottom of the box because there's only that 3/8" available. The flat area toward the front of the hive also reduces light from the lower entrance which apparently provides benefits to the bee's happiness. When Alison did a deep inspection of our two overwintered hives last weekend, we were able to see first-hand how the bees were gathering under the slatted board.
    Humble assistant to new beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Thanks, folks. I used Helsman poly I've always had good luck with it. The door for tray access is hinged on the bottom for weather protection & the hinges are spring loaded so no need for a hasp. Jim, I have the screen set under 5/8" wide by 1/4" thick strips. Very minimal hard surface so not much to scrap clean. Easy clean with vac from below. I want wooden ware that is easily transported & setup. In my pan, I lay unscented stiffer sheets soaked in veggie oil. Less oil & the sheet hold the prey til drowned.

Nice craftmanship.
    Zone 7a - 1650ft