Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Cutting down deep PF frames for use in medium wooden frames ?

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  sqkcrk 
#1 ·
In the past I have cut Honey Super Cell in half and mounted the comb in medium frames, and I'm now considering doing the same with deep pf- frames/foundation. Except the frames will be "narrow" frames.

I've thought the gap at the bottom of the frame can be used as the bees wish...

Any thoughts?

I'm trying to save some money and have some descent narrow, small cell frames...

#3 ·
I will be cutting the frame off of the small cell foundation. Then I will cut the plastic foundation in half, horizontally. Mounting those pieces in medium frames will leave an area without foundation... The bees can continue to draw out small cell or drone comb.

#4 ·
The pf frames are already a bit narrow to start. They are also pretty cheap. Unless you have an issue like shb that could hide in the hollow bits of the pf frames, I would save myself some work and just use the pf frames as is.

You can also use foundationless frames or foundation trimmed to allow for free drone rearing.

#6 ·
The pf frames are already a bit narrow to start. They are also pretty cheap. Unless you have an issue like shb that could hide in the hollow bits of the pf frames, I would save myself some work and just use the pf frames as is.
I want to continue with the conversion to narrow frames... I would also like to reduce the amount of bridge comb that I see with the pf frames. AND... we are seeinf shb in our area.

#7 ·
SHB love all the little hiding places in the PF frames. If you have shb I would put them in wood, otherwise your bees will be fighting a loosing battle trying to corral the shb. It will also take care of the brace comb, by putting them in wood. If you have wedge top frames all you have to do is cut the PFs out and put them in. If you have groove top frames, you have to cut down the embossed honeycombs on the frames, to get them to fit in the groove. If your foundation is not going all the way to the bottom, then the bottom bar type wont matter. There are a few threads on here to tell you the dimension to cut the top bar down to, for narrow frames. Steve

#13 ·
I am cutting some small cell plastic foundation out of their frames and putting it into wooden frames with narrow endbars for use in my broodnests. By next Fall, all of my eight frame broodnest boxes will have nine frames frames in them.

I decided against using deeps and cutting them in half... that would have been more "Kia" than Cadillac.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.