Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Southbound 2012

64K views 192 replies 34 participants last post by  snl 
#1 ·
View attachment 3509 View attachment 3510 View attachment 3511

At some times during the year I have some trouble deciding what I should be doing, such as when I first get to South Carolina in the Spring. What do I do first? Where to start. But, this time of year, the honey is all off and extracted and the job is pretty clear. Get all of those hives together and ready to get on the semi to go South.

All 460 so hives are ready for the ride.

#90 ·
In regards to more hive losses than usual here is what we have seen in southeastern NC. 2011/2012 winter was extremely mild. Mite levels were way higher by late June/early July than normal. Those that treated then or a little earlier came out okay. Those that treated later have had some problems. In our case, we normally use Apiguard in February/March and again in July/August. We tried the MAQS on some of our colonies last February. The beeyards we have had problems with were the ones that got the MAQS in February and we were late treating this summer. Apparently we didn't get as good a mite kill as we thought with the MAQS. I suspect that in the end those that are losing more colonies than normal will be able to trace it back directly or indirectly to varroa. Our experience has been that if you control the mites, the nosema, and the hive beetles you have pretty much won the battle. Of course, the problem is getting that all done on a timely basis along with everything else you have to do in the bee business. It makes me think of what a buddy of mine who used to have a cattle operation always says, "Those paid for lessons - the ones you buy, they really stick with you."

#91 ·
Had a nice visit w/ a DOT Trooper along Rt 81, for about 45 minutes. No Log Book or Medical Card. I guess he spent all that time finding out whether I needed one or not. Beekeeper Exempt seems to be real I guess.

Sergey,
You questions and what I was hearing from some others are why I started that other Thread about 2012 Losses Already.

#93 ·
Mark,
Thanks for sharing, excellent photos!
Wondering if you use U or W clips on your 4-way pallets? Also wondering if you could use some help for the winter as those photos sure make it look a lot warmer than snowy North Idaho right now!? ;)

#99 ·
It could have been worse for sure. Didn't get any tickets. All the lights worked. Had my extinguisher and triangle reflectors. I didn't need to 45 minute break, but I wasn't really in a hurry to get anywhere. So, all in all, not a bad experience.

#102 ·
I had that book w/ me. When I thought about it I would have had to have dug it out of wherever it was and thought better of it. Ya never know when someone w/ a gun might think someone else was looking for a gun. Ya never know.

Maybe I should photocopy that passage and hand it to whomever along w/ my license and registration, next time.

He still may have spent the time verifying.

#106 ·
ok, where do i get the small green federal DOT book and what page do I need to mark? Sqkcrk, I thought you didn't have a CDL, why did you need a fire extinguisher and triangle? Because of your DOT numbers?

#109 ·
Mark: How does banding those hives together when they are on 4-way pallets with W-clips work for you?
I use U-clips and have been thinking about switching to W-clips on my pallets but have concern about banding them together when they have the space between the boxes, did not want the boxes to slide sideways and open up the boxes!?
Thanks!

#114 ·
Marine grade non-treated plywood will stay flat. It is used to build boats. NOT available at the box stores like Home Depot. Most of the folks at the box stores (and some lumber yards) will have no idea what you are talking about. Relatively expensive. If you shop around you can usually buy it from the same places the box stores do at their price.

#116 ·
OK Mark - I recognize those boxes - I've told you before not to be in my yards when I'm not there!!!! That hive better bee there when I go down next month other wise I'll know who took it!! I think you need a release to post pictures from my yards! (See you Apri :-} ?

I try really hard not get pulled over but the few times I've been stopped with a trailer load of bees it's always 45 minutes. I always like the opportunity to add 45 minutes onto a 14-16 hour trip with a trailer load of bees. Of course there's always a few bandits that are out under the net if you sit longer than 5 minutes and those PA troopers are so tough they don't even care! Was it PA - That's where I've been stopped every time. Guess I better dig my triangles and extinguishers out of the shop and get them back in the trucks.

I read a post about un-netted bees - isn't that an automatic ticket?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.