Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Southbound 2012

Default Re: Southbound 2012

Done (at least for a little while). We finished the last round through the last beeyard for 2012 today. We were already in the South so we didn't have to go Soutbound. We run for honey from fixed locations in NC. Its been an instructive year with more swarms than normal, more queen problems than normal, and less nectar than normal. We are glad to put 2012 in the rear view mirror and are looking forward to putting our paid-for lessons to good use in 2013. Its warm enough to start putting on more pollen sub but I think I am going to leave the bees alone until January 2, 2013. Hunting season is 70% gone and I haven't been once but there's three weeks left in the deer and bear seasons and I plan to start looking for Bambi and Yogi tomorrow.
    "Too dumb to run too proud to quit."

mark
    the week before the nys meeting I talked to hack at the pa meeting. he had lost one third and was still losing hives. he said some guys out west had simular problems. we are a little late going to sc as we had to have a couple of heart stents put in. will have them there before xmas. happy holidays.

c u at ABF?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

not sure. wish it didnt cost so much. (about 1/3 of a sc trip)

I understand.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by beeware10 View Post
    mark
    the week before the nys meeting I talked to hack at the pa meeting. he had lost one third and was still losing hives. he said some guys out west had simular problems....
    Interesting, I heard from Mark many times on this forum that commercial beekeeping is doing well in US these days. Is this considered normal to lost 30% of the bees in December? Also, a few posts away you, Mark says that you had bunch of the problems in 2012 with bees and happy that this year will end soon. It contradicts to your previous statements that everything is OK with bees. I am sorry - I am too lazy to search for proper links to your controversial posts.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Life is complex and veried and it is a good idea to be optomostic.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Life is complex and veried and it is a good idea to be optomostic.
    I wish everybody on this forum to be happy and successful in coming year! And as Mark stated: "...We are glad to put 2012 in the rear view mirror ...". Russian variety of this: Let's leave everything bad in the past year and bring everything good into New Year! Russians also traditionally wish good health - I wish good health for you and your bees! Russians believe that all wishes become true if you drink champagne and eat caviar...
    Серёжа, Sergey

Actually 2dumb wrote that Sergey, not me. 2012 could have been better for me, but I'm still moving forward.

Does champagne and caviar work for nonRussians too?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

In regards to more hive losses than usual here is what we have seen in southeastern NC. 2011/2012 winter was extremely mild. Mite levels were way higher by late June/early July than normal. Those that treated then or a little earlier came out okay. Those that treated later have had some problems. In our case, we normally use Apiguard in February/March and again in July/August. We tried the MAQS on some of our colonies last February. The beeyards we have had problems with were the ones that got the MAQS in February and we were late treating this summer. Apparently we didn't get as good a mite kill as we thought with the MAQS. I suspect that in the end those that are losing more colonies than normal will be able to trace it back directly or indirectly to varroa. Our experience has been that if you control the mites, the nosema, and the hive beetles you have pretty much won the battle. Of course, the problem is getting that all done on a timely basis along with everything else you have to do in the bee business. It makes me think of what a buddy of mine who used to have a cattle operation always says, "Those paid for lessons - the ones you buy, they really stick with you."
    "Too dumb to run too proud to quit."

Had a nice visit w/ a DOT Trooper along Rt 81, for about 45 minutes. No Log Book or Medical Card. I guess he spent all that time finding out whether I needed one or not. Beekeeper Exempt seems to be real I guess.

Sergey,
    You questions and what I was hearing from some others are why I started that other Thread about 2012 Losses Already.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Interesting, I heard from Mark many times . . . . . . I am too lazy to search for proper links to your controversial posts.
    ??
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Mark,
    Thanks for sharing, excellent photos!
    Wondering if you use U or W clips on your 4-way pallets? Also wondering if you could use some help for the winter as those photos sure make it look a lot warmer than snowy North Idaho right now!?
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

Ws.

I'm homed in NY now. No snow yet, but no bees either. Got other things to do tho.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

...Does champagne and caviar work for nonRussians too?
    Absolutely! All my American friends love free caviar and champagne!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Where do I get free champagne and caviar?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Where do I get free champagne and caviar?
    Well, in my house for sure! This year I'll celebrate New Year in Russia, but next year - probably at home with bunch of friends - you are invited!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Had a nice visit w/ a DOT Trooper along Rt 81, for about 45 minutes. No Log Book or Medical Card. I guess he spent all that time finding out whether I needed one or not. Beekeeper Exempt seems to be real I guess.
    was it really a nice visit?
    Where you in Pa?

Nice to hear you didn't get ticketed.

It could have been worse for sure. Didn't get any tickets. All the lights worked. Had my extinguisher and triangle reflectors. I didn't need to 45 minute break, but I wasn't really in a hurry to get anywhere. So, all in all, not a bad experience.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Sure could have been worse, if it was decided you needed log book then it would have been at least 8hrs out of service even if you eventually won in court on the no log book and no med card tickets.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast