Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Southbound 2012

Default Re: Southbound 2012

bees must be in very good shape to have brood coming out of N.Y. at this time of year, I don't normaly see any after Oct. or is that an old queen and she remembered where she was going.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Attachment 3601A look at the top and two views from the bottom.Attachment 3597Attachment 3599Attachment 3600The Hardee Yd.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

1-1/4" frames Mark? Are you using "standard" 8 frame boxes or have you made something special? I see 9 frames in 2 of your pictures which is cool. Assuming that you are using 1-1/4" frames or something similar what benefits have you noticed and how is it that being commercial you are able to do it?

Those are nine frames in a ten frame box. I haven't noticed anything special. I'm just a beekeeper and don't notice things others seem to. This hive is alive and strong w/ bees and had plenty to eat, but no capped brood. That's what I notice and feel good about. As far as the width of any of those frames, they are probably all slightly different. Seems logical to me.

I'm sorry Mark I'm not trying to be a pain but honstly have enjoyed this thread!!! I have learned some things from it and want to continue to learn. I haven't seen a picture of a winter cluster like that from the bottom before. If I may ask another question. . . why do you run 9 in a 10 frame box? I am not a commercial guy and I can't even say I'm a sideliner, but would love to be in the future. To be honest, I would like to understand what seems logical to you for my own education.

Hey Mark, What are you using for lids?

Thanks
    Dan

PS-Remember to look for those green dotted or blue dotted palmer queens!

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    I'm sorry Mark I'm not trying to be a pain but honstly have enjoyed this thread!!! I have learned some things from it and want to continue to learn. I haven't seen a picture of a winter cluster like that from the bottom before. If I may ask another question. . . why do you run 9 in a 10 frame box? I am not a commercial guy and I can't even say I'm a sideliner, but would love to be in the future. To be honest, I would like to understand what seems logical to you for my own education.
    No problem delber. I apologize if my reply came off as though I were bothered. I always l;ike questions.

A number of different reasons I guess. I use feeders in most of my hives, so in those I will have a feeder and 8 frames. Or, if they fit w/out too much trouble, 9. For the boxes w/out feeders I will run 10 frames as long as they fit w/out too much trimming of propolis from the end bars, otherwise 9. Those are my deeps. Sometimes I run out of comb and want to make a split, so I will rob a frame here and a frame there, leaving 9 in a ten frame box. So I end up w/ 9.

All of my mediums were honey supers and they may still get used for honey supers, so they have 9 frames.

I'm not very deep w/ reasons why so much. I just do what needs doing when it needs doing and don't think too much about why. I do spend some time wondering what I should be doing or what I should do next. Then I get my hands and head into the bees and they tell me.

Listen to your bees.

prf, I use plywood for the covers, just plywood. I feel like I want to have better covers. We'll see what happens.

I'll keep my eyes pealed for the Palmer Queens. I did get one of yours down here, though I don't know where she is now. Sorry. Not well organized.

Thanks for the info and the pictures Mark. If I send you any more queens I'll put numbered disks on their backs so you don't loose them! HAHAHA

I'll put numbers on the boxes too. lolAttachment 3602Attachment 3603Attachment 3604Attachment 3605Four lbs of dry sugar applied this way can help keep a strong colony, light on stores, alive until Mother Nature provides. Call it what you wish, I refer to it as dry sygar feeding.

I see Wally, he looks pretty good for an old fart - where's Wayne and what's Wally doing in SC?
    Seeing pollen and nectar???

Wayne? Wayne who? Have seen no pollen yet.

Wally came down here to see a friend and to visit w/ me too.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Four lbs of dry sugar applied this way can help keep a strong colony, light on stores, alive until Mother Nature provides. Call it what you wish, I refer to it as dry sygar feeding.
    Hmm.. I do that too... seems to work "most" of the time. Glad I saw this pic.... it reminds me I need to get out and do this next week.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Saw some new pollen in combs today.Attachment 3607Attachment 3608Attachment 3609

I see them checking out the "Henbit", which they appear to take when there is nothing else.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Hmm.. I do that too... seems to work "most" of the time. Glad I saw this pic.... it reminds me I need to get out and do this next week.
    I really like your SC honey house Mark. Quite quaint!I'm jealous-my winter wrapping isnt done yet! :-)
    Nick

Thanks. It is nice down here.

Attachment 3651Not mine, a friends. There are twice that many in the yd. We fed two patties to each hive, unless it was dead, no patty, or weak, one patty. Not very many of either of those. Lots of good bees in his yds.

On the way home I talked w/ a PA bkpr who has lost 2/3s of his 1500 colonies to who knows what. I am hearing such stories from around the States. He mentioned the possibility that the Borders w/ Canada and Mexico might be opened to supply bees to CA Almonds. Anybody else hear stories like that?

If you remember from yesterday - you also talked to a NC beekeeper who told you of some huge losses in the area during the past 12 months..... I am beginning to think something is going on - not just normal beekeeper rumors.

Yup, forgot to mention that.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast