Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Southbound 2012

Default Re: Southbound 2012

yea i use 2x6 on most of my loads. If its not a tall load ill put a 1x4 running the down the two outside lines, then a 2x6 just where the two pallets meet then you only are using half the straps and boards. Which on a load of four ways pallets is still a lot of straps lol.

Hi Mark,
    We took our hives to florence last week - they were pulling in Pollen yesterday! I think that means you owe me lunch!
    See you at BBQ in hemmingway in March!!
    We do the 81 - 17 - 95 route. I can't imagine I-95 could get much more difficult to travel. It seems no matter what time of year it is always a parking lot! $3.04/gallon for Gas in Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by swarm_trapper View Post
    yea i use 2x6 on most of my loads. If its not a tall load ill put a 1x4 running the down the two outside lines, then a 2x6 just where the two pallets meet then you only are using half the straps and boards. Which on a load of four ways pallets is still a lot of straps lol.
    Yeah, all sorts of ways work. My trucker like two close together on the back and then 16 more on up the truck on a load of 17 rows. Overkill, but safer I guess. One friend uses one on the front and one on the back and then every other row, actually over bthe joint between two rows of pallets I think. Good straps and nets and everything stays where it's supposed to.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Hi Mark,
    We took our hives to florence last week - they were pulling in Pollen yesterday! I think that means you owe me lunch!
    See you at BBQ in hemmingway in March!!
    We do the 81 - 17 - 95 route. I can't imagine I-95 could get much more difficult to travel. It seems no matter what time of year it is always a parking lot! $3.04/gallon for Gas in Florence.
    So you are back home already? I have another 300 miles to go before I can unload. I stopped for the night at Exit 33, Davis Trk Stp. My trucker is behind me, but says he is going to stop for the night when he gets to NC. I don't know why he wants to get ahead of me. He can't unload them w/out me.

Heaviest traffic was when I got on 95 at Foul mouth,VA. But by the time I got to the next exit traffic wasn't bad. I think Rt 81 in PA is about the best shape I've ever seen it.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

you mean we dont have to dodge 2 foot pot holes on 81 this fall?

I imagine you are unloading bees about now, or at least getting the spreaders and netting off. Looks like a nice day to do this as it is certainly cloudy. Although it really is not that cool. See you later on in the week.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Unloaded.

Good to hear Mark. When you headed back up this way?

Heck, I just got here.

I don't know. I need to be home by Friday evening, Dec. 7. I wanna look thru them and do some feeding. I still have a bunch to move to other yds. I have a trailer tire to replace after the blowout and I aught to get something to hold my trailer license plate down before it flys off. I'm going to Manning to spend some time w/ another beekeeper.

Im jealous. I don't load up the semi until 14 Dec. Im hoping to NOT need to follow them down that weekend. Maybe head down just after the new year and feed them.

Because you can't get away? Why are you waiting until Dec. 14?

Its that full time job I have. I haven't had the opportunity to get all the bees in a central yard yet. I hoping to do that and finish extracting honey this coming weekend. I might still head to Ga and feed them all then.

This job I have sure gets in the way of being a beekeeper.

2012-11-27 12.03.24.jpgReady to unload my F-450.2012-11-28 08.11.32.jpg Hives from semi ready to move out to other yds.2012-11-28 10.23.45.jpgHives installed in Hyman Camp Yd.2012-11-28 12.26.58.jpg Here is Wally, aka iddee, holding up an example of what the bees look like. See da queen?2012-11-28 12.27.41.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

whats the temp today down south?

Right now it's 55 degrees. It was cool enouigh this morning to move bees at 10:00.

This may be routine for you but I find it interesting.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Yes, very interesting. Thanks Mark for the "education". What general area of SC have you moved your bees to? I would assume the further south the better as long as there is forage. How does one go about finding a location in the south to move, is it a rental or mutual arrangement or do you own land there? Just curious. With the housing/RE bust right now might be a good time to find a "winter home" with about 10 acres in some nice warm climate for retirement and parking bees for the winter? Thanks again for the thread.

Tim Goodin

My bees Winter in the most expensive County in SC in which tro own land, Horry County. Not pronounce whorry, but orry.

I inherited some of my locations and found some others the same way as anywhere else, asking around. I pay yd rent just like at home. Paid in honey.

Yer welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    My bees Winter in the most expensive County in SC in which tro own land, Horry County. Not pronounce whorry, but orry.

Myrtle Beach...lucky you!

No where near Myrtle Beach, just in the same county. Pee Dee swamp. But you are correct.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast