Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southbound 2012

Hybrid View

Default Southbound 2012

Attachment 3509Attachment 3510Attachment 3511

At some times during the year I have some trouble deciding what I should be doing, such as when I first get to South Carolina in the Spring. What do I do first? Where to start. But, this time of year, the honey is all off and extracted and the job is pretty clear. Get all of those hives together and ready to get on the semi to go South.

All 460 so hives are ready for the ride.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Default Re: Southbound 2012

Do you net them?
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Good luck and a safe trip. Any chance you will post some photos of the nuc operation you were talking about in another thread while you are down there?

Mark,
    Do you band them? I could not tell from the pics........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Hives are not banded.
    The load will be netted.
    I'll try to Post some photos of nuc building if I remember. I hate Dropbox and wish I knew an easy way to get it off of my computer. It makes it hard to find photos when I want to Post them here and other places.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Hives are not banded.
    Gotta ask CK why he feels the need to band when moving the hives and you do not.......
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I laod and unload my own hives. I'm slow. I don't send hives to Maine to ther blueberries, where other people might move them. If you send bees to ME they have to be banded. But if they don't have to be banded, if they have been left closed for some period of time, the bees will have the boxes glued together.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Gotta ask CK why he feels the need to band when moving the hives and you do not.......
    I have considered banding my boxes to the pallets as well before transporting them anywhere. It sure helps keep lids and boxes on pallets when traveling though that miserable highway in NY and Pa.

Mark I am jealous. I have 4 more yards to collect. Its looking good for me though as the semi driver will be at my place next friday morning to haul mine south. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I have a pretty good idea how my bees would fare if I waited till December to treat.
    Ditto on that as far as treatments go. There musta been some awfully big crops this year with all the beeks still not finished extracting! Heard of lots in the last couple weeks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Suchan View Post
    Ditto on that as far as treatments go. There musta been some awfully big crops this year with all the beeks still not finished extracting! Heard of lots in the last couple weeks!!!!!
    Ive been predicting for months that a lot of bees out of the Dakotas will suffer some pretty high losses this fall/winter for that very reason.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

i got to experience the effects of late treatments this year. Lots of 5 bees and a queen hives full of honey. It is extremely saddening to see. I agree with Jim. Late treatments are bad bad bad

But dont u think alot of it has to do with ppb and half a$$ed bee outfits?? It amazes me, what have some beeks been doin for the last couple of months? I know stuff goes wrong in the honey house and things come up.

But dont u think alot of it has to do with ppb and half a$$ed bee outfits?? It amazes me, what have some beeks been doin for the last couple of months? I know stuff goes wrong in the honey house and things come up.
    you can call my oufit half @$$. Your opinion matters none. Past couple of months besides running my bees i had to reconfigure my honey house and i work a regular job monday thru friday. I dont feel like i am terribly neglecting on mite treatment. I treat in april just after splits are made and all is broodless or close and then again in november. I think full treatsments twice a year has been fairly adequate.

Brian, I think he meant "half fast". U r a little behind aren't you? Or is this the normal time of the year for you to be where you are?

I could have had my bees south a cpl wks ago, but after the honey is off and the mite strips are in I like the queens to cut back laying as much as they will and moving them 1,000 miles seems to stimulate brood production again. And I don't really think there is all that much for my bees to forage on in SC this time of year anyway.
    Mark Berninghausen

I have bees on a late buckwheat crop now. Treated in August and will wait until this buckwheat honey is pulled to treat again, probably around Thanksgiving.
    Maybe some of these ppb and half a$$ed outfits you mentioned have the same treatment schedule?
    Might be worth it to you to ask them.

I planned on starting the loading today at 2, after getting home from Church. But, hey, time change happened. So looking ahead yesterday I loaded the bottom layer on the trailer deck. One third of the doubles and one quarter of the story and a halfs are loaded. We should be able to get everything done before dark. Then my trucker can take the load home w/ him for the night and leave in the morning.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Heintz88 View Post
    i got to experience the effects of late treatments this year. Lots of 5 bees and a queen hives full of honey. It is extremely saddening to see. I agree with Jim. Late treatments are bad bad bad
    Seen that its sux

Were seeing some hives of other beekeepers arriving in our CA holding yards that were on a late buckwheat and rabbet brush flow... they got the treatments going but those hives aren't looking to great.

Just stirrin the pot. Bmac, like i said i know things come up and out you get under the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast