Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 6.7 psd Scorpion

Alright folks,

please post year and miles on your scorpion... Im getting a good deal on "new" '13 f550 so trying to see what others experiences are.

Default Re: 6.7 psd Scorpion

freightliner fl-70, year 97, miles 350,000 plus, only bee truck I own.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

2013 35,000 miles. Great truck ,incredible power.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    freightliner fl-70, year 97, miles 350,000 plus, only bee truck I own.
    Is that 4x4 by any chance?

I need a truck that will get into the fireweed yards in the selkirks.

2011 F-350 86,000 miles one sensor went out, other than that a great truck!

Had two of them:

2012, 550 4x4 with 42,000….blown engine, oil pump froze, seized every bearing in the thing. Ford replaced engine.

2012, 350 4x4 with 24,000…..blown engine, hydrolock….Ford refused to pay….insurance bought truck.

You don't want to know my opinion. Have gone with all Dodges…..only two Fords left to get rid of.

I know a guy that had a 2011 F-550 6.7 that had the engine "grenade" on him with around 30,000 miles. No deletes or mods, just driving down the road and it blew. Ford did put a new engine in it. I like my Cummins/Rams especially while towing but with the complexity of the newer engines I really don't have any more confidence in the cummins 6.7 than I would in the Ford 6.7. I suppose if you are towing a lot, the diesels are a good choice, aside from that with the premium you pay for the diesels, the higher repair cost and with the per mile fuel costs pretty close to gas engines I think one needs to seriously crunch the numbers before you decide to go with a diesel.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

In the big truck(Class 8) world, many of the shrewd operators are choosing to reman their older non-electric diesels and run a glider kit, rather than purchasing a new electric motor(electronic injectors) diesel truck with exhaust fluid. Watch out, the reliability of most diesels has decreased steadily since 2007.

If properly maintained, and properly spec'ed in the first place, a diesel should easily be 1/2 to 2/3rd the cost to operate of a gas truck. Now if you start talking CNG or LP, if natural gas prices stay low, once you get past the initial cost, you may get closer to diesel costs.

Crazy Roland

If you don't have a yellow(or red) knob, it's not a truck, just a pickup.

I would keep on running 7.3's if I could. If I didn't pollinate almonds then I wouldn't even think about these new trucks. CA emissions...great for small business!!

2013 F-550 4x4, 21k miles, so far no issues, the engine is quiet with tons of power, great truck.

Quote Originally Posted by acbz View Post
    2013 F-550 4x4, 21k miles, so far no issues, the engine is quiet with tons of power, great truck.
    Is that the v-10 Aaron?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

2013 550 4WD, 16' bed, 11-12 mpg. Always dragging trailer with hummerbee.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Is that the v-10 Aaron?
    Mine also has the new 6.7 diesel, time will tell how it holds up long term, but so far it's been a great truck.

2011 f450 bad exaust sensor stranded on freeway with a load of honey, blown turbo at shop lastly motor lost a main bearing going up the grapevine two totes of feed four guys and motor locked up before they could get it out of the truck lane. $1,000 tow bill to dealer. Dealer also broke rear glass and dented cab lifting cab. 65,000 miles. 2011 6.7 ram 134,000 miles not a single problem.
    David
    beebotanical.com 40 years-4000 colonies-treatment eo's

I believe that Cummins started as a Combine engine at Case in Racine? There is a reason all the big trucks have straight Six engines, more main bearings, and your experience supports that.

Crazy Roland

Has anyone had trouble with a 2013-2015 model scorpion? I have noticed a trend in my research in looking for a new truck. Everyone that has issues with the engine has primarily has 2011 models. I have seen a few threads with 2012's as well. Hardly any threads on the newer 13's to 15's. The 2015 has and updated motor in it now.

2011 F350 118,000 miles-one bad sensor, 2012 65,000 miles no problems. Both always have trailers with 7-12000 lbs weight. Love that motor, quiet-strong- good milage. 1999 7.3 348,000 miles. Still running strong. Lol
    Jim

Seems like a hit or miss with the 2011 fords. Cummins are great motors but I know local guy who blew head gasket twice on his new ram. Im leaning towards Ford just because every dodge vehicle I owned was crap. Im not talking cummins or aisin. Im talking dodge itself.

My 01 3500 is just a cradle for a cummins. They really built junk trucks back in the day. Rebuilt just about everything and it still needs more work. Can't speak for the new ones. I am going Ford this time.

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    Seems like a hit or miss with the 2011 fords. Cummins are great motors but I know local guy who blew head gasket twice on his new ram. Im leaning towards Ford just because every dodge vehicle I owned was crap. Im not talking cummins or aisin. Im talking dodge itself.
    It's a tough habit to break but for the record you will no longer even find the word Dodge on these trucks anymore. The suits in some marketing division somewhere (probably Italy) decided to call them Rams. I think your opinion on the reliability of these trucks is rooted in the past when that was certainly true. The current build quality difference between the two trucks is almost identical in my mind. I own a couple older Ford 7.3's that are still good trucks but have since purchased 2011 and 2013 Ram 5500's. I bought the first because pricing at the time on virtually identical trucks was 4 grand higher for the Ford which was in its first year with the Ford built 6.7. I just couldn't see paying more for a truck with an unproven powertrain. My guess is that Ford resolved the first year issues with those engines and they are undoubtedly a great truck. I bought the second, virtually identical, Ram primarily because the first one has treated me so well and secondly, well errrrr, there is a school of thought among beekeepers that owning identical trucks is a good idea from a PR point of view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast