Default Not Sure what to do with 2 queens

It was such a nice day, 70 deg so I thought I should check my bees (3 hives, 2 started with nucs in May and one swarm started in Sep) and I am blessed with a hive that has 2 queens in it I think. On was my marked queen that I started with in a nuc back in May and the other not makred. This hive has one deep and 2 med 10 frame boxes and has good honey stores. Both queens were on the same frame, there was capped and uncapped larve on it. Watch them for several minutes and they were going about their business. None of the other bees were bothering them. This is the second time this year I have found 2 queens in this hive.

What I am not sure about is what to do with them its to late to start a split, so I put the box back togeather. Does any one have any ideals on what I should do or should I leave them alone?

DJ

Default Re: Not Sure what to do with 2 queens

What type of bees? Russian Honey bees will do this at times. I'd let them work together until spring! If they are both laying in spring, make a nice split

They are Italians.

You could add a brood box and split the hive into two equal parts with a queen excluder between one queen up and one queen down and let the bees stay together until spring... Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Biz Bee Co View Post
    You could add a brood box and split the hive into two equal parts with a queen excluder between one queen up and one queen down and let the bees stay together until spring... Or not.
    Have not thought of that one. I wonder if they would be able to move around enough to get to the honey stores for the winter. That is if we have much of a winter.
    Wish I would have had my marker pen with me.