Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: NYS Standard of Identity (SOI)

Wildbranch - can you site a court and case number? I am not aware of such a ruling, and thought there where cases pending in California and Florida over ultrafiltered honey.

crazy roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Wildbranch - can you site a court and case number? I am not aware of such a ruling, and thought there where cases pending in California and Florida over ultrafiltered honey.

crazy roland
    Brod v. Sioux Honey Assoc., No. 3:12-cv-01322 (N.D. Cal.) If you do a search on this you get some hits, one is a pay site that will probably give you more, two others haven't been verified by my security system so I don't go there. it was a federal court, and I saw no information on appeals, since it was federal I assume the Florida lawsuits will use it to get them thrown out also.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

You da man!!! I'm on it!!

crazy roland

In thinking about the results that Sioux Honey Assoc achieved, may not be what the commercial honey producers were looking to get out of the (SOI). would seem to me what Sioux achieved is to allow all that China ultrafiltered honey to enterer the country, so my theory is the price will start droppping as soon as they can start transhipping through vietnam etc.
    Maybe what Sioux want but probably bad for the rest of us.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    thats what I always thought but <---- I hate that word, in the Calif. case thats not what I read the court decided.
    The court held that a California statute that essentially prohibits a product from being labeled as honey if it contains no pollen was preempted by federal law that allows foods not otherwise subject to specific regulatory definitions to be labeled with their common or usual names
    We may not have seen any appeals for this yet but I bet one is in the works based on the fed law.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    We may not have seen any appeals for this yet but I bet one is in the works based on the fed law.
    who would do the appeal? small beeks don't care, large beeks and packers don't want pollen in honey, chinese don't want pollen in honey, the consumer? they don't even know about what is going on, lawyers? they want the easy win not the fight up to the supreme court, some state agency? they did there job and wrote the SOI?? The feds? they didn't want to write the SOI in the first place.
    mike syracuse ny

I gave the case number to my buddy who has access to case info. It appeared that they had a few miss steps, not proving an injury, and Federal law trumping state law. It looked to my like the plaintiffs where working on fine tuning there complaint by asking for an extension. I will report back when I have more accurate info.

This thing could blow up any direction, but no matter what, i think we are in for a bumpy ride, on the cusp of change.

Crazy Roland

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234