Hybrid View

Default NYS Standard of Identity (SOI)

Should NYS have a law that defines honey?

Should any state have a law that defines honey?

Why do people feel a need or desire to have a law that defines honey?

Cant we just look up the definition of honey in Websters dictionary?

Default Re: NYS Standard of Identity (SOI)

Interesting. I know of a local guy that feeds Hi Fructose syrup all summer and bottles honey? Is it really honey?

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Should any state have a law that defines honey?
    Six or more State do, whether any should or not. I don't know.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

OK, take Webster's definition, what ever it is. How do you take that definition to a testing lab and have them verify that the sample is or is not honey, in a manner that can be repeated, and hold up in a court of law? We all know that honey is that which is collected from flowers, but how do you prove or disprove that?

If you DO define honey in a manner that defines the lab tests, then if the sample fails a repeatable test, you CAN take it into a court of law and file for damages(you have been injured) against the individual that has sold a product as honey, that is not..

Crazy Roland

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ial#post861572

post # 13 and #15 says it all for me, I would go for the standard of identity, but it taking 5 years for something that most beeks want, and the consumer would want if they know what was going on is really to long. having only lived in N.Y. 10 years I can predict that N.Y. will never have a SOI or at least in my life time. Was a hot topic when floriday passed theirs, now not so much.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

You'll have to call Paul Cappy, NYS Apiculturalist, for the particulars, but I was told that a random selection of a sizeable number, maybe 100, of jars of honey were collected from across NYS, tested and no contamination or adulteration found. I guess I should call him myself and see if there is any kind of report to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    but I was told that a random selection of a sizeable number, maybe 100, of jars of honey were collected from across NYS, tested and no contamination or adulteration found. I guess I should call him myself and see if there is any kind of report to be had.
    I'll have to find the testing by the fda, trying out there new equipment, not in ny, but they only found a few that didn't/weren't contaminated.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ial#post861572

post # 13 and #15 says it all for me, I would go for the standard of identity, but it taking 5 years for something that most beeks want, and the consumer would want if they know what was going on is really to long. having only lived in N.Y. 10 years I can predict that N.Y. will never have a SOI or at least in my life time. Was a hot topic when floriday passed theirs, now not so much.

Will legally defining honey prevent adulteration? Beekeepers and packers have been fighting adulterated honey in this country for well over 100 years. Will a new law magically prevent bad honey?

I understand the lawyers want new laws all the time. What is wroung with going after those offenders under mislabeling? Isn't the word PURE on the label adequate?

One comment at the annual meeting from a lady said she is all for the SOI so she can charge more money for her NYS Qualified honey. I thought about asking her why she dont just charge more for the honey now.

Good question Brian. I know people who already do. Nothing about the SOI will mean you can do that anymore in the future than now, imo.

I don't know why people don't just decide what they want for their honey and charge that price for it and see what happens. Every time I have raised my prices I sell more and I usually bottle evewry drop I produce This year I sold some buckets to another bkpr..

Nothing will prevent adulteration from happening. Packers have done it and been prosecuted and then do it again. Maybe not stiff enuf fines levied. (?)