Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: need ideas on how to attach removable bottoms on 5 frame nucs?

Little scraps of 1/8" screen with short screw above and below. Don't need to carry a drill, jest a screwdriver
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by robertkidd View Post
    I guess that's where my new to beekeeping comes in
    We all started sometime.

My advice and examples are worth what you pay for them or wherein you see the value. I fell in love w/ the Kutik System the first time I saw it and asked Chuck if I coukld steal it. I'm glad I did. Anybody who is into production nuc building who isn't using it is wasting time, money, and labor.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    That's not long enuf to go thru the bottomboard and into the nuc super.
    I don't think that it has to. It is installed in the super. It has threads on the inside to accept a machine (as opposed to wood) screw. A corresponding hole is drilled in the bottom board. The bottom board is attached and removed with a screw driver. Granted a drill is required for initial installation of the threaded insert, but a screw driver is all that is required after that.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I use 1 3/8"-#10 eye screws and 8" zip ties to hold the bottoms up on my TBHs. This will work for nucs as long as you can space them an inch apart. Or you can use duct tape. I'm having trouble with photobucket. I'll post a picture link later.IMAG0060.jpg;
    Last edited by Steven Ogborn; 11-21-2012 at 08:48 AM.

I ran across this spring steel hive clip today that might work. http://www.bobsbeekeeping.com.au/pro...Product/id/453
    I have a similar situation in that I don't want to put my hives on pallets just yet, and want to secure the bottom board in such away that I can just drop the bottom board off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rogers View Post
    I ran across this spring steel hive clip today that might work. http://www.bobsbeekeeping.com.au/pro...Product/id/453
    I have a similar situation in that I don't want to put my hives on pallets just yet, and want to secure the bottom board in such away that I can just drop the bottom board off.
    Those seem a little spendy to me for a piece of wire.
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    Those seem a little spendy to me for a piece of wire.
    I was think the same. Alhtough they are made from spring steel, which accounts for some of the cost. I like the idea, and am looking for other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ogborn View Post
    I use 1 3/8"-#10 eye screws and 8" zip ties to hold the bottoms up on my TBHs. This will work for nucs as long as you can space them an inch apart. Or you can use duct tape. I'm having trouble with photobucket. I'll post a picture link later.IMAG0060.jpg;
    Great idea Steven!

Hold on! I got my photobucket working. They changed stuff when I wasn't lookin'. Then I went and did one of my nuc boxes to show
    you exactly what I was talking about. Then the card didn't work in my new camera. Went to Wallyworld to get a new one. Whew!
    Try this link now. http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    I don't think that it has to. It is installed in the super. It has threads on the inside to accept a machine (as opposed to wood) screw. A corresponding hole is drilled in the bottom board. The bottom board is attached and removed with a screw driver. Granted a drill is required for initial installation of the threaded insert, but a screw driver is all that is required after that.
    Better keep the bottom board and nuc supers together or the variation will cause problems, don't ya think?

It is interesting to see the variety of answers to the question. I don't see anythat really appeal to me like the one I use now. Whatever floats your boat.

Not to keep harping on screws and wire bales on the front and back of the bbs and boxes, but anything attatched to the sides of boxes will be in the way should you want to put the nucs on pallets to move to another yd.

Is there a reason why the long sides of the box cannot have a groove that you slide the bottom in? Another thing I was thinking is that one side could have a "L" shaped spring clips that latches the bottom board in place and bends out of the way to release. NO Tools.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Hold on! I got my photobucket working. They changed stuff when I wasn't lookin'. Then I went and did one of my nuc boxes to show
    you exactly what I was talking about. Then the card didn't work in my new camera. Went to Wallyworld to get a new one. Whew!
    Try this link now. http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...view¤t=003.jpg
    Steven, great photo! I'll be trying this. I was in quick need to expand several of my nucs last summer and didn't have regular hive boxes at the time. I ended up cutting the bottom boards off of several nucs so I could use them a supers. With your idea, I can just snip the zip ties and go!

Or just some ever handy Texas duct tape(bailing wire). Make a loop through the eyes, twist to tighten, cut and go.
    If you use screws like Mark B. was talking about, it would have even a lower profile, and less specialty equipment, screws
    and wire, needlenose pliers. You can run the screws down closer to the box. Mine stick out 3/4".

What about velcro strips? Low profile and durable.
    Coyote Creek Bees

I personally use perforated metal strap called plumbers tape, which is cut into 3-4 inch pieces and then one screw into the bottom board rail and one screw in to the hive body. I use four per hive. I even use the plumbers tape to secure the bottom boards on my full deeps. The screws are 3/4" truss head phillips head, easisly screwed in by hand or with a drill motor.

Russell
    Ferndale, WA

Or just some ever handy Texas duct tape(bailing wire). Make a loop through the eyes, twist to tighten, cut and go.
    If you use screws like Mark B. was talking about, it would have even a lower profile, and less specialty equipment, screws
    and wire, needlenose pliers. You can run the screws down closer to the box. Mine stick out 3/4".
    Actuall, you don't need the pliers. Buy the wire ties I described earlier, which can be used over and over until they break. Or make a loop in on end of the wire and put it around the screw on the bottom board and then around the screw on the box and voila your ready to move the thing.

I'll see if I can get some photos together.

The nuc box.Attachment 3512 The front wired. Attachment 3520The open box. Notice how the cover has a groove in the end bar and screws in the box. It keeps the lid frome sliding around before bees glue it down. Attachment 3513 The back wired.Attachment 3514 As the box would appear above a hive, ready for bees to come up thru the excluder.Attachment 3515 The bottom board covers the other half of the excluder over night. Notice the clips on the bottom board? They keep the bottom board from sliding around when you pick up the wired box.Attachment 3516The nuc box ready to pick up off of the hive and place on a pallet to move to another yard.Attachment 3517The filled pallets.Attachment 3518
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 11-22-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Good stuff Mark. I love simple and practical solutions!
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Me too. I wish my camera, Drop Box, and moving photos was a simple as wiring bottomboards to nucs.

Hey Mark,
    When you're down in SC, I'll see if I can scrounge up some up some "oops paint" for those nuc boxes!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast