Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: need ideas on how to attach removable bottoms on 5 frame nucs?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    It's all part of the nuc building system. Pull a cpl of frames of brood out of a hive and shake the bees off of them. Replace w/ foundation or drawn comb.. Place an excluder on top. Set the nuc box w/out the bottom on one half of the excluder, w/ the cover on it. Place the bottom board on the other half, closing the top of the hive. Do this to as many hives as you can in the yd.

Come back the next morning. Move the nuc box, which now has bees covering the brood in the nuc box, but no queen, onto the nuc bottom board and wire them together. Stuff the entrance and place the nuc on a wearhouse pallet. When the pallet is full, set it on the truck to take the nucs to another yd.

That's why some of us want removeable bottom boards on our nucs. Not to mention the nuc supering which allows one to have two story nucs w/ which to make spring splits w/. I have seen those two story nucs turn into 3 and 4 nucs in SC in March and April.
    now I can't wait til spring! I do have a question for you, Mark. If I plan to do this but keep the new nuc within the same bee yard, what do I need to do to make sure the bees come back to the new nuc and not go back to the parent hive? Is putting grass over the entrance sufficient? Thanks in advance!

Move the parent hive. And leave nuc where the parent hive was.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

What if I want to keep them both on the same three acre area? Is this possible?

Yes.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234