Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default need ideas on how to attach removable bottoms on 5 frame nucs?

I have a need to attach removable bottoms to 5 frame nucs, I could use hive stapes, but will have to remove and put the bottoms back on mult times a year. I have thought about the hooks that hook into an eye, but the odds of me getting them all the same length so the bottom is tight is not very likely. trying to remove screws from the bottom while the nuc has bees in it works but is a pain. any ideas appreciated.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Default Re: need ideas on how to attach removable bottoms on 5 frame nucs?

The majority of my nucs have bottom just like my 10 frame hives. When I move them I run a ratchet strap around them. Other than that they just sit on the bottom. Is that what you were asking?

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

I'd just use two small nails and some wire wrapped around them to hold it together personally.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    I'd just use two small nails and some picture wire wrapped around them to hold it together personally.
    Ditto
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Good idea. I will be giving that a try.

I would just make the bottom board permanent, I mean, why not? It is a nuc right? And it will be used for starting a new colony and eventually that colony will be moved into a regular hive and at that time you could clean the nuc out a bit and get it ready for the next colony.

Just curious why you wouldn't want the bottom to be connected permanently? Just asking!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    I would just make the bottom board permanent, I mean, why not? It is a nuc right? And it will be used for starting a new colony and eventually that colony will be moved into a regular hive and at that time you could clean the nuc out a bit and get it ready for the next colony.

Just curious why you wouldn't want the bottom to be connected permanently? Just asking!
    Nucs are great comb builders and sometimes they build up faster than I am ready to move them into full size boxes. Its easy to "super" them and let them move up.

Mike, steal an idea from Chuck Kutik. Screw a drywall screw in the front and the back of the nuc box. Do tghe same to the bottom board. Screw two plywood clips to the rail of the bottom board along one side, which will help keep the box from sliding around once you have wired the bottom to the box w/ concrete form board wires from your builders supply.

All royaltys go to Chuck.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    It's all part of the nuc building system. Pull a cpl of frames of brood out of a hive and shake the bees off of them. Replace w/ foundation or drawn comb.. Place an excluder on top. Set the nuc box w/out the bottom on one half of the excluder, w/ the cover on it. Place the bottom board on the other half, closing the top of the hive. Do this to as many hives as you can in the yd.

Come back the next morning. Move the nuc box, which now has bees covering the brood in the nuc box, but no queen, onto the nuc bottom board and wire them together. Stuff the entrance and place the nuc on a wearhouse pallet. When the pallet is full, set it on the truck to take the nucs to another yd.

That's why some of us want removeable bottom boards on our nucs. Not to mention the nuc supering which allows one to have two story nucs w/ which to make spring splits w/. I have seen those two story nucs turn into 3 and 4 nucs in SC in March and April.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    It's all part of the nuc building system. Pull a cpl of frames of brood out of a hive and shake the bees off of them. Replace w/ foundation or drawn comb.. Place an excluder on top. Set the nuc box w/out the bottom on one half of the excluder, w/ the cover on it. Place the bottom board on the other half, closing the top of the hive. Do this to as many hives as you can in the yd.

Come back the next morning. Move the nuc box, which now has bees covering the brood in the nuc box, but no queen, onto the nuc bottom board and wire them together. Stuff the entrance and place the nuc on a wearhouse pallet. When the pallet is full, set it on the truck to take the nucs to another yd.

That's why some of us want removeable bottom boards on our nucs. Not to mention the nuc supering which allows one to have two story nucs w/ which to make spring splits w/. I have seen those two story nucs turn into 3 and 4 nucs in SC in March and April.
    I like this! Thank you for this tip!
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Two screws on each side of the box and the bottom, directly in line. Wire with mechanics wire when you want the bottom to stay on. Easy, quick, non-premanent, but very unlikely to come loose at a bad time, which is NOT true of hood and eye fasteners.

Peter

What if you screwed two cleats like a lid and then screw into the nuc box.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    What if you screwed two cleats like a lid and then screw into the nuc box.
    David

Too much work......... wire works just fine........you're thinkin too much!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Brass insert.png

I'm new to beekeeping with plans of starting my hives next spring but woodworking has been a hobby for 30 years. I've used this type of brass insert many times when I want to take things apart. Just drill a hole screw them in then you can use a normal brass or stainless machine screw to hold your bottom. Use can get them at most big box stores Menards, Lowes etc.

Bob

That's not long enuf to go thru the bottomboard and into the nuc super. Besides the fact that you will have to carry a drill w/ you to install it.

robert, think low tech and fewer tools. A bundle of bailing wires requires no tools and very little instruction to use. KISS

That's not long enuf to go thru the bottomboard and into the nuc super. Besides the fact that you will have to carry a drill w/ you to install it.

robert, think low tech and fewer tools. A bundle of bailing wires requires no tools and very little instruction to use. KISS
    I guess that's where my new to beekeeping comes in

I have found that with my less than perfect woodworking skills the bees fill the gaps, and the propolis between the bottom of the nuc and the bottom board holds the two together quite firmly. Probably not well enough that I would be confident enough to put them on a truck, but well enough to move around within the apiary.
    If I were holding them together for sales I would use cable ties (or several cable ties joined together) and go around the whole box. I trust the ties more than I trust my knots.

It's all part of the nuc building system.
    Ding!! I get it now, thanks for the tutorial! Very good idea!
    Coyote Creek Bees

thanks to all for the ideas, in addition to sqkcrks way of removing the bees, you can also requeen a hive by putting the nuc on top after you have done away with the old queen, then pull the nuc back off and put a queen cell back in when you are ready. thanks
    mike syracuse ny

All royaltys go to Chuck.
    thanks next time you see him tell him I owe him.
    mike syracuse ny