Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What are bees doing in late november?

6K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Acebird 
#1 ·
It is late novemember here in WI. We have a warm spell at the moment were the temps are getting into the low 50s during the day. I noticed the bees are coming and going like it was the middle of the summer. What are they doing now since it is clear there is no pollen to gather.

#12 ·
Pollen coming in at 50-55 degrees between showers today in Oregon. This time of year I find that some hives are randomly more active on particular days. Just when I start to worry about the less-active hives I walk out to find them flying like crazy and the formerly-active hives very quiet.

#17 ·
Rob in NSW - do your girls build out good comb using a 1/4 sheet of wax as a guide? Cross combing? Incomplete frames?

And in general reply, I think the girls will scavenge pollen from dead standing flowers long after frost and even the following spring - plus there are lots of "cold-hardy mums" on folk's door stoops in this neck of the woods for decoration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.