Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Goats cows and bees ?

Fence them in be safe and be a responsible beekeeper.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Cows do like a good rub. We parked our caravan overnight in a grazing paddock and woke up when the cows used the van as a scratching post! My sister-in-law has had to build solid post fences around most of her young trees because the cows deliberately rub against them. Probably a good idea to protect your hives is some way.
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette View Post
    Cows do like a good rub. We parked our caravan overnight in a grazing paddock and woke up when the cows used the van as a scratching post! My sister-in-law has had to build solid post fences around most of her young trees because the cows deliberately rub against them. Probably a good idea to protect your hives is some way.

I finally did it !! It wasn't as big a deal as I expected since I have an auger for my tractor. It took about $65 in posts, $45 in wire and $60 for a gate, plus a half days work. I consider it like insurance. I won't have to be concerned about a problem either way.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    I have a new problem myself, a feral potbelly pig my neighbor across the way has decided to let loose. I wonder what it will do if it smells honey and the girls are clustered and cold?
    I know someone that had to put their potbelly pig down because it bit someone. There was a 16 year old boy that was trespassing on their property to fish their pond. The pig wanted the kid's bait worms. The kid did not give the pig his worms. The pig bit him on the leg. Not much more than skin deep.

Anyway, if the neighbor let the pig loose, they are still liable for what it does. Ask them if they had a dog that they let lose and it bit someone or killed someone's goat/cow/chicken, who do you think they would come after for damages?
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

We have feral (nice word for wild) pigs on our ranch. I trap a hundred or so each year, and I am sure their keen sense of smell would lead them to the hives, as they love all kinds of fruit. Their hair is long and stiff, and I have my doubts about bees being able to sting them. For that reason, I fence off my hives with cattle panels and "T" posts. I also, keep 38 to 45 head of cattle. I just love them, but they are subject to rub their heads on anything at any time. A 1,400 pound cow rubbing her head on a bee hive would be a disaster.

Speaking from personal experience, goats will not bother hives. We used to have 8 goats wandering around the yard and they never tried climbing onto my hives. We still have one goat wandering around the yard and she does not bother my hives. I have no experience with cows, but my mentor says they learn quickly not to bother them. However, your goats and cows might have different personalities.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin

I let a fellow run a pretty good sized herd of goats on my pasture one summer, and they learned real quick to stay away from the hives, without doing any damage. My own cows left them alone as well, though young calves are terribly curious and full of energy, again, no actual damage. Horses on the other hand, proved to be a real PITA with the bees. Knocked hives over, and didn't seem to learn about getting stung.