Default Using honey and pollen on new package

I have several frames of capped honey, pollen, and brood comb from mite-induced deadouts. I am reasonably confident that i don't need to be concerned about EFB or other residual disease.

To use these resources for new packages in the spring, should I put five brood frames in a box, bracketed by a couple frames of pollen, which are then bracketed with capped honey? And then put a second box on top filled w capped honey?

Or do i need to put in more pollen?

I'm trying to minimize syrup and pollen patty supplements.

Default Re: Using honey and pollen on new package

Those with more years beekeeping will hopefully chime in but if it were me I would, assuming you are using deeps, put them in the first box just as you described. Hold off on the second box until queen has just about layed the first full or you see them low on stores then, put on the second box layed out just like the first. You can always add pollen/honey frames during any inspection you see that they are low on one or the other.

Most nucs are 1 frame honey, 1 frame pollen and 3 frames brood. so 2 honey 2 pollen and 5 brood will be like a double nuc which should get you a quicker start.

I would not put a box filled with capped honey on top in the spring, (in the fall for winter survival yes). You might encourage your new hive to swarm and leave with 1/2 of the honey, put a box of empty frames once the first box is 70%.

@FlowerPlanter: thank you. Without the second box w honey, the capped honey in the first box is sufficient for feeding?

Yes should be enough - depends how early you do this. Once stuff starts to flowering the flow is on. When that happens your bees will be bringing in so many resources they will multiply x4. You will have to give them room to keep them from swarming, splits and honey suppers.

Many thanks. Makes sense.