Re: mite counts in tfb
Squarepeg, understand your question, no problem at all. Let me address them individually.
Soft Treatments - only thing I've ever done that might qualify is feed them HBH a couple times over the years. Nothing else, and absolutely nothing for the mites. I don't consider a screened bottom board to be a treatment, it's management to me. Don't pull drone brood, don't use small cells.
SHB loss - I doubt mites had anything to do with this... hive was in full sun, was delayed in getting my traps into the colony which was a split. After a couple of months I noticed something wasn't right, opened the hive. Sigh... bees were still functioning as a colony, but the shb had pretty much taken over and slimed slimed slimed. So I saved what I could, united with a stronger colony, and put the rest in the full sun. then burned it... wasn't sure what else to do, but those frames were a loss.
Starvation - those hives succumbed late winter/early spring. Previous fall no indication of mites. I always look for deformed wings, and haven't seen any in my colonies for a couple of years. (That hive worked thru it, and did quite well, still going strong). I guess one could interpret the colonies weakened by varroa, but remember, hives were lost before varroa appeared.
Now if I had a colony collapse June, July, or August, yes, I might suspect the mites.
Whenever I find a weakened colony, I either requeen or commit regicide and unite it with a stronger colony. If it is an impending starvation, of course I feed. If circumstances warrant, entrances are reduced, ventilation provided, shb traps installed (have used up to six in one colony), sugar syrup given. But beyond that, haven't done anything.
Hope that helps.
"If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow