Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How does Mann Lake do it?

21K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  Harley Craig 
#1 ·
I just ordered 40 -8 frame deep box's from Mann Lake with of course FREE shipping. My shipping info was emailed to me stating my order was 327.4 LBS!

I had ordered 20 of the budget 8 frame deeps a couple weeks ago to see what the quality was. You tell me.

I think the quality of their budgets are better than their selects a few years ago. They use to have hand holds that were consistantly blown out on one side from ether a dull blade or were shoved through too fast.

The only thing thay do that drives me crazy is they have these great sales. I hate to buy too much before it may come on sale, but then if I wait the price may go up! I picked up 60 budget deeps and 60 shallow box's for a great price a few months ago. $8.50 for the deep 10 frames box's, $5.75 for the medium supers and the quality was just as good.

I give Man Lake a thumbs up on quality and customer service:applause:

See less See more
#8 ·
@redhat- I'm not really the person to ask. My first year, with 3 hives, I used a plastic 2 frame extractor. It worked OK but by year 2, with 8 hives, I rented our bee club extractor, a 3 frame beater. It was better, but not great. This year, with 18 hives, I borrowed a Mann Lake 4 frame extractor and loved it. Still, it's a long, slow, sweaty process. I'd love to go motorized but it's not in the budget right now.
My point would be that you're always going to want the next step up, get the best you can afford. Alternately, rent or borrow.

#15 ·
I just spoke with Ed @ Mann Lake, he was a nice guy and very helpful. I ordered 100 deep frames unassembled, and 100 medium frames unassembled. They look great, and FREE SHIPPING over 100$. This is my first time assembling these frames, they almost square themselves up as you glue and staple they together. I dont have a jig but im gonna do about 20 or so a day. It didnt really take me that long. Im SUPER happy with them, and thats where im going to buy my supplies from here on out. Free shipping is the deal breaker. Great quality frames

#19 ·
Product Room Furniture Architecture Wood

What else do you do in the middle of winter in Minnesota. Build frames and supers. I mixed budget and classic and found little difference other than a knot or two I had to be aware of before nailing. With a couple of wood clamps I could correct a bow or square up a box without any problem. But I really did not have to because even the quality of the budget was outstanding. The frames assembled without a hitch. Above freezing for the first time in 6 weeks or so. Might be time to visit the hives, take inventory and plan my next purchase.

#40 ·
During last spring's "Wooden ware sale" un-assembled commercial boxes were cheaper than the budget boxes...

Everything in my Monday order was at 2015 prices. The '16 catalog ought to be here soon.

Many recent orders will be a bit late right now, due to the high volume of March Madness sales. Last year most orders took ~3 days to the Denver area.

#26 ·
Prices have gone up on many items in four years. I previously have only purchase at Mann Lake, but in the future I'll be checking out some of the other suppliers.
I did get some really good deals on their sales though. Glad I bought when I did. Glad I fabricate as much as I do. You can probably see my equipment projects are also a source of entertainment. And yes, those are budget deeps.

#28 ·
Two things that have not gone up in the last couple years are unassembled frames and Bee Pro. I'll be stocking up during the sale, as I would expect those prices to also rise at some point. The worst item for me was the brewers yeast. I paid about $49. with free shipping a few years ago. Today a single bag will cost just over $100. with shipping charges. I feed more dry free choice BeePro than I use to and less wet patties partly because of that.

When I started beekeeping I wondered how Mann Lake could offer free shipping and still beat other supplier prices. I figured it wouldn't last and unfortunately I was right. Still there are deals to be had. I just ordered 75 telescoping covers with inner covers for just under $22.00 with free shipping on their latest sale. That was a very good deal considering the pallet was probably about 600 # or more.

#30 ·
I enjoy watching you build those creations Lauri. I could tell you what will go wrong with that particular one, but since I went through my "build strange creations" phase 40 years ago, I think I'll let you find out on your own.

#31 ·
It still needs flashing over the door and a cover to block the light. I'm trying to get a hive like the one shown below that is more manageable and superable. There's a couple things I'll be looking out for as they build, one of the reasons for the side access door. I can intervene if necessary before they make a mess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.