Default Use of organic acids in the hive and corrosion of fasteners and fixtures???

Quick question.

With the advent of organic acids as varroa control has anyone observed increased failure/corrosion rates of hive fasteners, metal fixtures, screens and hardware?

Of course alot may have to do with the type of treatments. Oxalic is reported to be milder than formic. There is also the fact that woodenware should be glued well enough to not require the nail or staple. However screened bottoms and excluders are entirely exposed and vunerable. I could especially envision the detriment a corroded excluder could be on the bee's passing through.

Which then leads to a question on materials to be used in a corrosive environment. Feel free to discuss this if you like.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc

Default Re: Use of organic acids in the hive and corrosion of fasteners and fixtures???

It's definitely hard on SBB's made with galvanized hardware cloth. SS holds up better but is pretty expensive.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Default Re: Use of organic acids in the hive and corrosion of fasteners and fixtures???

Quote Originally Posted by zhiv9 View Post
    It's definitely hard on SBB's made with galvanized hardware cloth. SS holds up better but is pretty expensive.
    Ditto that, but I've not had them rust through yet. I've seen no other impacts anywhere in the hives to hardware.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I use formic acid (MAQS) and haven't noticed any problems with screened bottom boards. Don't use queen excluders that much but would think since the #8 hardware cloth shows little damage, the excluders would not be harmed much either.
    "Sometimes the best action is no action at all."
    Started 2011, 3-10 frame hives; 2016, 53-8 frame hives.

I use FA, SBBs are OK. Excluders are plastic...but I rarely use them, the few times I have, they didn't work out well.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

I haven't noticed any accelerated damage but I've never really thought about it. Perhaps it's happening, just slowly.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Definitely go with Stainless. Most manufacturers in Germany offer SBB made of SS or Galvanized, by far the most popular is SS. But then again most use just Formic and OA as mite treatments.
    Stephen 40+ hives. 6th year. Treat. Germany.

In as few words as possible..."propolis".
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

If you use OAV under the screen, it eats the galv hardware cloth pretty quick.
    "We'll just check real quick, we don't need our suits"

Adam, do you have a source for stainless hardware cloth in Ontario ?

Quote Originally Posted by xaja34 View Post
    Adam, do you have a source for stainless hardware cloth in Ontario ?
    Propolis-etc have it in their catalogue. I am not sure what availability is like.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Propolis-etc have it in their catalogue. I am not sure what availability is like.
    Thanks Adam,
    Bill